Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

Puerto Penasco Mexico.

Has anyone spent the winter there and if so what can you tell me about it? Such as cost, gas, food, drinking water.
I know I will need insurance, shots and papers for the dog, notify cell phone carrier what else? Appreciate information.
Gail Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
We spend a month in PP every winter but this year we will be there two months. The place is pretty laid back. We stay in Playa Bonita and I want to say that the monthly rate is around $500 for full hookups. Fuel prices are in line with what you pay in the US.

There is a Sam's Club as well as a WallyMart if you want American type food but the local fare is really good. We go to most of the taco stands you see along the road as they are the best tacos. There are some nice restaurants as well.We drink the local water.

You will need Mexican liability insurance, the pet stuff you mentioned but friends that we go with have never been asked for any papers for the pets.

Don't know what you mean about notifying the cell carrier. We have Verizon and it doesn't work there. The park has wifi so if we need to call the states, we use Skype. Most bars have a phone you can use to call the states at no charge.

Don't forget your passport.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #3

That is so good to hear! How far in advance do you need to book? I am not a fan of WM or Sam. Love local food. Can't make it this coming winter but next for sure. Thanks for info
Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 AM   #4

It has been a few years but we have great memories because Puerto Penasco is fun, the beaches are fine and the people are very friendly. The seafood is wonderful and the beer is cold. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point to many) is only about 90 minutes south of the US border. Take your passport for the trip north.

But, there are a couple small towns on your way. Be very careful of your speed and to come to a complete stop and then count "1-2-3" before going on. The police are watching. You may also be approached at these stop signs by people from the Mexican Red Cross collecting money for the local ambulance service. Be prepared to give them some coins with a smile and you will get smiles in return.

Vehicle permits were not required to travel to PP when we went some years ago. They are required beyond PP so be sure you understand the current restrictions.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

Love cold beer!!!! Thanks all for great information
Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
We stay in Playa Bonita and I want to say that the monthly rate is around $500 for full hookups. Fuel prices are in line with what you pay in the US.
So is that the spot you'd recommend for as first-timer?
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #7

Go to Mexico at your own risk. The drug lords are in charge. Killing of innocents on a regular basis are the rule. If you don't run afoul of the drug gangs the federalies will shake you down. I don't have much longer to live, but want to die in my own bed if possible.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Rapidman View Post
So is that the spot you'd recommend for as first-timer?
Sure.

There are a couple of other parks, one being Playa de Oro. It is older and a little tight for a 40 footer. It is through town and the beach isn't that nice.

Another is the Reef. It is further out of town and the spaces are nice sized. I don't like it because of the wind and it is to far out of town for us. Rumor has it that part of the Reef will be closed because of the new pier being built. The rumor changes every month so no telling. They do have a nice beach

There is a dry camp spot next to Playa Bonita that is on the beach. They have nice showers and you can get water there plus there is a dump. Not sure of the name of it.

These are the ones I recommend. Don't know where the gloom and doom got his info about the innocents being shot and all the drugs. Just be aware of your situation and don't go where you shouldn't. Never had a problem in Puerto Penasco or Mazatlan.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

So Al, I guess you have been to PP and know all about it.

Everyone else I THANK YOU. Will be making a trip down this winter.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #10

The park at Playa Bonita is probably the best bet. Rocky Point is fun for a long weekend or so. Don't expect a true Mexican experience-It's known as Arizona's beachfront. There was a serious incident some time ago with military helicopters strafing a high end condo where there were narcos staying. Fortunately no innocent tourists were injured. They police chief there was subsequently murdered. You can google Puerto Penasco and it will likely come up. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...rease-as-drug/ There also have been incidents in SOnoita , the border town across from Lukeville where narcos forced the mayor to flee. It's unlikely you'll encounter anything like that however.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You will want to make the trip mid day from maybe a night in Why or a bit further north. You can get your Mexican insurance at the border or before. There is an RV camp ground at the border but I don't think I would stay there and a State Park just a very few miles north of the border that is should be safe. There is a lot to see just north of the border also, maybe last minute info about what is going on at the time or a small owner impromptu caravan could be put together. I have been in Mexico several times when there were murders(hell any major city here has them everynight) and never felt threatened.

LEN
Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #12

It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Tucson where there are many good places to stay the night (or a few days) Not much to see or do in Ajo or Why. I think Puerto Penasco is maybe an hour drive from the Lukeville port of entry
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #13

Our trip includes a stay overnight at the Gila Bend Elks where our group meets up. Next morning it is a leisurely drive to Lukeville, cross the border and continue on to PP
Old 09-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #14

Gail, as a matter of fact I have been to PP more than once and obviously was not murdered. That doesn't mean it won't happen if I were to go again. I know many who still go, but not me. I spend a lot of time in AZ and know what the narco terrorists are capable of. I guess you are like the photographer who tries to get with in 10 feet of a female grizzly with cubs for the better shot. Not smart, but a failure to learn from others.

I also know many who will not cross the boarder for any reason. Good luck.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote