Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #1

Quality of food in Alaskan restaurants

We are having a problem finding well prepared food in Alaska. Seems that the roadside restaurants, downtown restaurants, pubs, taverns, lodges, etc. hold a drawing and the owner's family member that picks the short straw is the cook.

Sorry if I sound too negative but how do you ruin hash browns, bacon, a hamburger, crab, toast, deep fried cod, spaghetti w/ meat sauce, cole slaw, tartar sauce, mashed potatoes, clam chowder, etc., etc., etc. PLEASE, just look up an award winning recipe on the internet and follow the directions.

We had great Chinese in Anchorage. We had very good deep fried cod in Seward. Mickey D's is up to their usual quality.

Sorry for the rant, but $30 for breakfast and $60 for dinner should be easier on the taste buds. (for 2 people)
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Eh, most of the Cordon Bleu's don't choose to live up there. The reality is that in many parts of the region, you don't have a lot of choices. It is sort of a captive market and if you don't like what they are cooking, you could drive 30 miles or so to the next place if you are lucky enough to find it open. I can tell you it is better than it used to be (at least on the Yukon side), menu's have gotten a little more varied and healthy over time but still, it is a remote part of the continent, the locals are hardy folks with simple tastes for the most part and the tourists are usually 1 off's for as far as locals are concerned. They tolerate em fine, like their money well enough but aren't really concerned about repeat business. Consider also that what ends up on the plate may have had to travel a long way to get there and is usually expensive as hell. May mean that the oil in the deep fryer may have been there a little longer than we are used to and the veggies are a little long in the tooth.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #3

I guess that we have been up here too long, in Alaska that is. For the most part we find the food served in most places 'just fine'. Yes there are places that leave something to be desired but.......
We have driven 100 miles just to go to a place that has excellent hambugers, we have even driven 300 miles to Delta Junction for bison hambugers, when they were open. Some of the best BBQ ribs we have had was at a little 'mom/pop' place in the middle of now where. Food was good and the service was as good.
Part of the issue is who the cook is! Some just feel that 'anything' will do and some really get into the trade. Those are the ones that are hard to keep, as someone is always trying to lure them away.
While do not travel as much as some do, we have had as bad service/food in the 'lower 48' as anyplace. Another thing is that some places carter to what the 'local' people want and like. They can be their real 'bread/butter' not the visitors that they may never see again.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lived in Alaska for a couple decades, including Anchorage, Fairbanks area, and Homer - never had a problem finding "...well prepared food..." there. You're painting a picture with a very broad brush.

Yes, things cost more at the end of the road. Can't beat the fresh veggies from the Matanuska Valley, fresh seafood from the bay/dock, and can't beat the fresh bison, caribou or other items you'll find on the menu.

My guess is that you'll find poor quality/service in just about any location if you look hard enough - we've experienced that in the lower 48 and Hawaii. Rather than rant to iRV2, did you let the managers of the institutions you frequented know of your disappointment? Nothing changes otherwise.

When we've experienced the issues you write of, we mention it to the manager, and, most often, the meal becomes a freebie for letting them know they've let you down.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

I think you could apply your rant to all of North America and Canada. We use Yelp and no it's not 100% right all the time either. I look at it as its just another part of the RV Lifestyle....still beats working !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
laj

while not lucky enough to live there i have traveled extensively over pretty much the entire state. I have never had trouble finding great food at a more then fair price when you figure that most has to be either flown or floated there. with that said i know exactly what your describing as i have been there as well. all they do is throw tons of spice on whatever is slower then they are and call it good. I'll take Alaska 2-1 over that.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Club Paris - Steak
Simon and Seaforts - Seafood and Steaks, try the halibut simply grilled
Sullivans - Steaks, sides severed family style
Snow City Cafe - breakfast
Moose's Tooth - pizzza and beer
Double Muskie - Pepper steak, rated 1 of the top 10 in the world (Girdwood)
The Roadhouse - takes to hands to carry the breakfast platter and the cinnamon rolls are as big a s a dinner plate. (Talkeetna)
Don Jose's - great Mexican
Arctic Roadrunner - Burgers
Ray's Place - Chinese
All excellent
I eat downtown in the off season, too many tourists in the summer time to go north of midtown.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #8

Forget having a meal just have the best cinnamon buns in the world. Probably stopped at 6 different places and each cinnamon bun was terrific!!
Wish I could find them in Florida. Oh god how I miss a hot cinnamon bun))

Also never had a bad meal. Food was always good!! We always ask where do the locals eat and haven't been disappointed yet. You must have just stopped at the wrong spot. That can happen to any of us.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Spent 5 months in AK during the summer of 2010. Most of the food was very good and the seafood was often excellent ... fresh too! Discovered that Halibut is commonly used for Fish & Chips.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Club Paris - Steak
Simon and Seaforts - Seafood and Steaks, try the halibut simply grilled
Sullivans - Steaks, sides severed family style
Snow City Cafe - breakfast
Moose's Tooth - pizzza and beer
Double Muskie - Pepper steak, rated 1 of the top 10 in the world (Girdwood)
The Roadhouse - takes to hands to carry the breakfast platter and the cinnamon rolls are as big a s a dinner plate. (Talkeetna)
Don Jose's - great Mexican
Arctic Roadrunner - Burgers
Ray's Place - Chinese
All excellent
I eat downtown in the off season, too many tourists in the summer time to go north of midtown.
Add to the above: F Street Station - for a great fried halibut sandwich
I eaten a good burger at Humpy's also.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #11

We mostly shopped at fine grocery stores. Cooked in camp. We both cook and rave over each others culineary prowess.

But never had a bad meal out either
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We mostly shopped at fine grocery stores. Cooked in camp. We both cook and rave over each others culineary prowess.

But never had a bad meal out either
So when are you sending out the invites?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
So when are you sending out the invites?
Feel free to darken my doormat. However...
An RVM Rally could be real interesting!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #14

There are interesting ways to cook, however.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4066910922.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	42661

Tags
quality