Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Question about google maps

Planning my route home and I am trying to avoid one particular area. I found a way to bypass it on google maps. It is on a county road here in Georgia. Looks great but for a short portion it shows up orange on the google map. I know orange means caution but do you think it is passable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #2

Most times orange is slow, due to traffic or construction.

Red is stopped or bumper to bumper.

We often get to the slow down area and it's already cleared up by then. Other times it turns red :(
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What area are you referring to, someone may be able to help.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
What area are you referring to, someone may be able to help.
For some reason I cant duplicate the area that I am talking about. It is from Riceville, GA to Waulthersville, Ga on a cunty road 119. It is just a short space but I was curious as to why it was yellow.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
For some reason I cant duplicate the area that I am talking about. It is from Riceville, GA to Waulthersville, Ga on a cunty road 119. It is just a short space but I was curious as to why it was yellow.
Because the issue cleared.

See if you can turn off alerts while planning.

Edit: I can't find where to turn off traffic advisories.

Map from Edison NJ to Freeport NY. Lots of red and orange today.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
The color coding in google maps is real time traffic. Or as close to real time google can get.
It is not the condition of the road. Although that would be an awesome feature.
To turn it off go to the settings button and toggle "Traffic".
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #7

I tried toggling " Traffic " on my Ebay smart phone. Toggling it made the major highways bright green, but didn't remove the yellow areas.

No biggie. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I tried toggling " Traffic " on my Ebay smart phone. Toggling it made the major highways bright green, but didn't remove the yellow areas.

No biggie. Thanks for the tip.
After toggling it off try reloading the app. Make sure you close it completely and not just minimize it. The cache probably needs to be cleared so it completely reloads the clean map. If it doesn't fix it, it's probably a glitch in the map. Google has quite a few.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:29 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Goldensadie
Why is everyone using google maps versus the GPS installed in the RV? Wish this GPS would warn about construction areas and/or accidents with road detours?
Goldensadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensadie View Post
Why is everyone using google maps versus the GPS installed in the RV? Wish this GPS would warn about construction areas and/or accidents with road detours?
If I use a GPS in my rv I can't see it, because I'm towing my rv.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

My Garmin RV-760-LMT alerts me to any Live Traffic on my route. If there is an alternative route to take to avoid the traffic, accident, or detour it will suggest it otherwise you stay on your current route.

I also use the Garmin Smartphone Link in conjunction with the Garmin RV-760-LMT which gives me the most updated and current traffic information on my route including traffic cam images.

BTW, I use Google MyMaps to do my route planning instead of using Garmin's Basecamp application. I also use Google Maps to verify routing, stops, locations and ease of ingress and egress with their excellent satellite images.

Doesn't the GPS installed by Entegra do all that? For the money that they get for their RV's you would think it would.

If not then I would suggest switching.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Can't find the GPS screen on my 2000 Gulfstream.

Us poor folks have older MHs.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not everyone has a GPS installed in the RV and as the "I wonder" poster infered in the rest of his opst Google has real time traffic updates.

I use both Microsoft Streets and Trips and Google maps depending on the route, the trip, and the vehicle.. S&T runs on this laptop and does a great job in places where the internet is not visible.. Google Maps on my 'Droids and works best with a net connection.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Seems like you just answered your own question...

Really isn't anything that can give you 100% real-time road conditions, but Google does pretty good.
uncledon is offline   Reply With Quote