Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Question about roads

We are taking our first major trip, in a week or so, from California to Ohio. Mapquest offers two routes. One is straight across on Routes 40/66/70 which we have driven a number of times in the car. A second route offered is to hit Tucomcari and take 54 North East to Kansas City and then east. Any opinions about the routes?

I know there is lots of climbing going through MO, but is it enough to make me take a 2 lane truck route going through Kansas City?

rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Climbing in Missouri? Missouri has a number of rolling hills on I-70 but nothing you can't handle easily. You can always take I-40 and then pick up I-44 in Oklahoma. This will take you into St. Louis where you can pick up I-70 through Indianna and then on to Ohio.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Climbing in Missouri? Missouri has a number of rolling hills on I-70 but nothing you can't handle easily. You can always take I-40 and then pick up I-44 in Oklahoma. This will take you into St. Louis where you can pick up I-70 through Indianna and then on to Ohio.
I agree with you suggestion! Currently I am in Branson MO and the only steep hills we ran into was the last hour drive into Branson itself. Still we met many RV's, some with TOADs, that managed without any difficulty. Happy travels
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I've done that basic trip countless times with 18 wheels..... I would take the US 54 cutoff from Tucomcari. Once in Liberal KS, take US 83 north to US 56. Once in Great Bend, just east of town pick up KS 156 more or less north to I 70. (Great Bend has an easy access wally world that doesn't mind RV or truck parking if needed.) Of course from I 70 blaze your trail east to Ohio...

Fewer hills this route, fewer tolls. Minor toll on the stretch of I70 between Topeka and KC. A few more smaller towns, but you'll bypass Oklahoma City and Tulsa not to mention the over priced toll on I 44.

Happy trails! You might see me with a car hauler 18 wheeler on the way...

I might also add if you are going this route, once getting close to St.Louis, you can easily bypass the better part of the city by catching MO 370 to I 270 and straight back onto I 70. It is all nearly a smooth shot across the north side of the metro area. Unless of course you gotta go see that arch. Which IMHO is way over rated.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #5

We travel from Wisconsin to our daughter in Gallup, NM. When driving the car we take the interstate because we can go 75+ mph. When driving the coach we take 54 because we stick around 60 mph, interstate or not. Hwy 54 is about 150 miles shorter for us which means about 20 gls. of gas. We don't get stuck behind slow trucks because we are the slow truck. It's a decent road.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto hauler View Post
I've done that basic trip countless times with 18 wheels..... I would take the US 54 cutoff from Tucomcari. Once in Liberal KS, take US 83 north to US 56. Once in Great Bend, just east of town pick up KS 156 more or less north to I 70. (Great Bend has an easy access wally world that doesn't mind RV or truck parking if needed.) Of course from I 70 blaze your trail east to Ohio...

Fewer hills this route, fewer tolls. Minor toll on the stretch of I70 between Topeka and KC. A few more smaller towns, but you'll bypass Oklahoma City and Tulsa not to mention the over priced toll on I 44.

Happy trails! You might see me with a car hauler 18 wheeler on the way...

I might also add if you are going this route, once getting close to St.Louis, you can easily bypass the better part of the city by catching MO 370 to I 270 and straight back onto I 70. It is all nearly a smooth shot across the north side of the metro area. Unless of course you gotta go see that arch. Which IMHO is way over rated.
Thanks for the suggestions.... I normally set the cruise at 60-62, so it sounds like going towards Kansas City shouldn't be a problem.
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawson View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.... I normally set the cruise at 60-62, so it sounds like going towards Kansas City shouldn't be a problem.

Might also consider staying with US54 through Liberal. It will eventually become US54/US400. Run on into Wichita. I 235 north, I 135 north to Newtan. Catch US 50 east which is a smooth high speed exit to the right. Stay with US 50 to Emporia, and onto I 35 north to KC and I 435 to I 70.

This might be quicker and easier for you, and no tolls at all.... Again, happy trails!
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto hauler View Post
Might also consider staying with US54 through Liberal. It will eventually become US54/US400. Run on into Wichita. I 235 north, I 135 north to Newtan. Catch US 50 east which is a smooth high speed exit to the right. Stay with US 50 to Emporia, and onto I 35 north to KC and I 435 to I 70.

This might be quicker and easier for you, and no tolls at all.... Again, happy trails!
I have travelled this exact route (in the other direction) and I recommend it.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote