Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is an article that has details including several automotive sights in SoCal:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/au...west.html?_r=0

Theres not much automotive stuff to do along the coast between the SF Bay Area and LA except that incredible drive...like The 17 Mile Drive in Monterey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive

Not a driving challenge but very beautiful.

Hope you enjoy.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #16

Wow, great stuff! I posted on Motor Trend and Hot Rod forums and had over 2000 views but only 1 suggestion. I thought how this forum helped me in the past I gave it a shot. You are awesome!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #17

When the various car shows are filming (Top Gear, the Car Show, etc) you go to on-camera-audiences.com and get on the wait list (those two are on hiatus).

I went to a Top Gear filming and it was a bit of "work" they usually provide food and drinks, and then you get shuttled out on the course, stand around a car and celeb, and film the part before they get in to do their hot laps. then you go back into the hangar and film the interview. There's several takes of each, the move people around so that the "pretty/interesting" ones are in front, move folks around so they can use the same audience for at least two shows so that it doesn't look obvious. Every now and then you see the Stig out there with another celeb coaching. Then they filmed about thirty takes of one of the drivers blasting the car into the hangar while we applauded. all the applause, etc, is heavily coached, really energetic stuff. Normal applause would just look blah on camera.

From arrival to departure, about 12 hrs in the heat. Mostly standing. Not for people with bad backs, etc.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #18

You do realize it's about 500 miles from SF to SD so if you have to return to SF you have two FULL days of driving. SF area down CA 1 to Ventura will be a full day if you go that way. Very scenic but not a road you'll make good time on.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #19

the NHRA Museum
1101 W McKinley Ave #3A Pomona, CA 91768
(909) 622-2133

that is if you enjoy straight line hot rods
Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Google Cars and Coffee for a Saturday Morning Show! I know that the one in Irvine Ca gets some good turnouts! Also check to see if John Force has an event at that time . His Shop is just off the Riverside Freeway near Yorba Linda.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
You do realize it's about 500 miles from SF to SD so if you have to return to SF you have two FULL days of driving. SF area down CA 1 to Ventura will be a full day if you go that way. Very scenic but not a road you'll make good time on.
Thanks again. Old Cheif, we are coming into Oakland and leaving from SanDiego. We had a $1000 voucher for Southwest. Actually hard to spend in one shot as my wife and I teach and we only have spring break to use it as it expires soon after school gets out.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #22

Well just got back from the trip and it was the best non Motorhome trip ever. The drive was epic and made quite a few stops suggested here. They just closed a part they called Devil's slide up toward San Fran and made a tunnel so we were one of the last few able to drive that part. That was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever done. It really helped that we rented a convertible. I was a 2014 Mustang with 300 miles (we added 750 more). I absolutely love Laguna Seca. There was a historic race going on. That track is beautiful. Question, my wife and I want to go back sometime with the Motorhome and camp on the shore like we see. Anyone do this?

Again thanks all for the advice.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy6 View Post
Well just got back from the trip...Question, my wife and I want to go back sometime with the Motorhome and camp on the shore like we see. Anyone do this?

Again thanks all for the advice.
Yep, there are places you can use an RV on the shoreline...come down San Diego and stay at San Onofre or San Elijo State Beach Parks:
San Onofre SB
and
San Elijo SB

Best of Luck and Safe Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #24
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When friends from the East coast visit they are amazed at how our old vehicles are not incrusted in rust. So I suggest you keep you camera handy and just enjoy the tour. You will be amazed at the condition of 50 year old vehicles. I can't help with vehicle museums because there are so many road worthy vehicles in the area.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california