Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #1

Question from a car guy going to California

Hello, I'm from the Chicago area. My lovely wife planned a spring break trip to California. We are not taking the motorhome (only a week as we both teach). We were bumped for a convention and have vouchers we need to use soon so my wife booked a flight to Oakland and we are traveling Pacific highway down to San Diego. I am a big time car guy and I read Hot Rod and Motor Trend since the 70's and have seen many.cool things from there. What suggestion may you have for car guy must see or do near that route. I made the mistake of assuming the above mentioned.magazines forums or editors would help me. It has been over 2 weeks and I have had 1 response from over 2000 views. Then I remembered how helpful you all were in the past. It doesn't have to be museums ( the 1 response was the Peterson Museum which I was planning). Maybe some old speed shop that's cool and still there or?? We are renting a Mustang convertible to really enjoy the experience. So maybe some awesome road not far off to just drive. Thanks in advance.
sciguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The PCH from the S.F. Bay Area to San Diego is almost all scenic.

What to see and do is all in what you want. Just do an internet search for Pacific Coast Highway and sightseeing or something similar and you will get hundreds of suggestions.

You don't mention your route, so I assume it's Hwy 1 (PCH), and a convertable Mustang would be a perfect platform. If it's one way, I would spend some overnights on the way. There aren't too may hotels on the route in Central, CA, so planning wll help there (like reservations are a good idea for Spring Break week) for the type of places that you like to stay.

Once you get to the area just north of L.A., the drive turns to solid beachside towns and that means traffic all the way to Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base. Driving that last leg could take most of a whole day alone. Then the PCH and I-5 are combined until you get to Oceanside,.

From Oceanside to Mexico is all coastal access road on the PCH.

Best of luck, and watch out for those crazy folks in RVs on the PCH!
And remember, the PCH southbound puts the passengerside of the car at the cliffs edge...many places are not for the faint of heart.

Safe travels.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
California Cars

SCIguy6
Check out the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, Ca it is just over the hills to the east of Oakland. It is or once was owned by the owner of the Seattle Seahawks. It is a nice museum in a very nice area.
lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

I believe the OP is spacificaly looking for AUTOMOBILE, Hot Rod, and Custom Car stuff.
(Not a scenic route).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses so far. Mel, OP =oceanpacific or??
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Don't forget to swing by Laguna Seca as you head south through Monterey. The track is located inside a County Park, so for the small day use fee you can wander around the perimeter all you want, and many days there are cars on track, even during the weekdays (the Skip Barber Racing school has a base there).

Steve
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy6 View Post
OP= original poster

What are your travel dates?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #8

if you like planes too there are several aircraft museums along the way - one in ventura, planes of fame in Chino, one in Palm Springs, and one in San diego.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #9

You may want to check out the San Diego Automotive Museum as well, really nice.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #10

Bob213 op, got it! March 23 we get into Oakland and leave San Diego the 30 th. Leguna would be awesome.

Mel, you are correct.

Califcruiser, will check it out.

Keep em coming. My wife is rolling her eyes though. I will have to prioritize.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy6 View Post
sciguy6
Sorry
OP = Original poster, (in this case that would be you)!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Check out the GoodGuys website. The Great All American Get Together is in Pleasanton on March 23, 24. I went last year and there were alot of very nice vehicles there!
https://goodugys.s3.amazonaws.com/GG...ver=1301200933
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #13

I forgot about the Porsche, Volkswagen, and Hot Rod Swap meets at the Pomona fairplex. If you are there on the right weekend that it. Google 'em up and get the schedule. Huge, huge, huge swap meet. If you are restoring a vehicle there are restoration parts dealers for just about every kind of car. Literature, tools, tires, literally everything. There's also probably 10 acres of people trying to sell their hot rods.

I go with a guy that cant resist buying stuff, and he's come away with a 29 model A with a 440 dodge in it, a Manta (Mclaren M6 coupe replica) and a D-Jag body on a X-type tub. There's a lot of sand toys, Haulers (C-cabs on modern chassis are popular) and just about everything is SoCal rust free.

You have to get there early, literally at 6am, and it will take about 6 hours to walk thru it all. By 2pm it's done.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Don't have any idea how you would go about this. May try to google Chip Foose and his Overhaulin show. To me that would be so awesome. I love watching him.

Jerry

Tags
california