Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #1

Question on Hwy 50 across Colorado

What is this road like once I get west of Pueblo? I am concerned about the mountain passes Once I get to Montrose from there to Grand Junction looks to be fine. I will be in a 43' MH towing a truck. Considering this route to avoid Denver.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

Not too far west of Pueblo, west of Canon City you will be running along the Arkansas river while the road is good, 2 lane with the occasional passing lane it does follow the river and is a bit curvy at times nothing dramatic at all and little elevation change. Once the valley opens up it gets less curvy. Once past Salida and Poncha Springs you will shortly start climbing Monarch pass. It is a decent pass it tops out at just over 11k elevation. It is a typical high mountain pass for a US hwy. Once down the west side you will hit Gunnison and soon thereafter follow along Blue Mesa reservoir for miles. The road again is decent nothing dramatic. There is another section west of Blue Mesa Reservoir that has an elevation change cant remember the name but turns are a little tighter and a somewhat steep section is not all that long and not a big deal. The passes may tax your cooling system a bit but no worse than any other pass. Then on to Montrose from Montrose to Grand Junction good road nothing overly hilly or sharp turns. Now if the weather is not cooperating and snow is a factor the passes can get treacherous, well the whole route can be a bear or any other route through the mountains in a snow storm. US50 is not known for getting closed frequently as they do a good job plowing it but a good job plowing is far from a dry road. This route will definitely take more time than I-70 (though that may depend on where you are coming from). Personally not sure I would use it just to avoid Denver. If you can time it to pass through Denver mid day or non rush hour time 70 will be a better option many more services available. Weekend ski traffic can be a real pita outside of Denver However if you have the time and inclination US 50 is a good road and I would not let the condition of the road keep me from using it (excluding snow).

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation has traffic cameras and road restrictions just click on the cameras along the route as of this moment 50 is open at Monarch pass but chain laws are in effect cameras on both side of the pass show nothing dramatic as far as snow goes but the pass is another story.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #3

We've done Hwy 50 many times with our 40' motorhome towing. Your RV is fully capable of doing this very scenic highway. Yes, there will be some ups and downs but many, many RVers do it. Don't worry about it. It sure beats Denver traffic!! Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #4

its a good climb up and over monarch pass but very scenic.take your time and you will have no problem. be sure and visit black canyon of gunnison national park it is a real wonder of nature
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado