Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Rapid Ciy SD to Glacier NP to Banff

GPS says I90 to Missoula then 93 to Glacier. Would it be better to go I15 and US 2 to Glacier and PH 4 in Canada??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

US 2 is good road. If you want to really see "big sky country", that's the way to go.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chastho View Post
GPS says I90 to Missoula then 93 to Glacier. Would it be better to go I15 and US 2 to Glacier and PH 4 in Canada??
Unless 93 has changed, it is a dangerous road to drive. I would go I90 to I15 to US2 and then PH4, much safer and better roads. Better being a relative term considering the state of roads and highways these days.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #4

chastho - We were in Glacier in July and we took in on I15 to Shelby and US2 to Glacier. The road was pretty good. When we left Glacier headed towards Crater Lake, OR we took US2 to 93 down to I90 and that was also very good road and easy driving.

I can not speak to the way to Banff as we did not go there. Good luck and enjoy the beautiful scenery!!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

I just received this Winter Storm Warning for Montana so I hope you not planning on doing this anytime soon.

Posted 4 hours, 29 minutes ago – National Weather Service
  • How likely:
  • How soon:
  • How severe:

The original text for this alert has been automatically reformatted to correct capitalization.
Winter Weather Advisory now in effect until 6 am MDT Wednesday for elevations above 5000 feet.
Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 am Wednesday to noon MDT Thursday for elevations above 5000 feet.
The National Weather Service in Great Falls has issued a Winter Storm Warning for elevations above 5000 feet for heavy snow, which is in effect from 6 am Wednesday to noon MDT Thursday. The Winter Weather Advisory for snow remains in effect for elevations above 5000 feet until 6 am MDT Wednesday.
  • Timing and main impact: intermittent light precipitation will continue to develop today over Glacier National Park. Snow levels will lower to around 5000 this morning. A stronger surge of moisture will arrive early Wednesday with widespread snow developing and continuing through Thursday morning. Snow will be heavy at times, especially Wednesday night into Thursday morning.
  • Snow accumulations: 4 to 8 inches of snowfall are expected through Thursday morning for elevations above 5000 feet. Including Logan Pass and Marias Pass. Elevations above 7000 feet could see total accumulations of up to 15 inches.
  • Visibility: reduced to below one mile at times.
  • Elevations: For elevations above 5000 feet.
  • Locations affected include: Marias Pass, Logan Pass.
  • To see a graphical representation of this hazard please visit our web page and click on the detailed hazards tab.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rapid Ciy SD to Glacier NP to Banff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastho View Post

Just about two weeks ago we drove from south of Missoula up US93 to Glacier, except we split at Polson and took Rt35 around the east side of Flathead Lake. No problems at all in our 40ft DS. If there's a part of US93 that's dangerous, we didn't see it.

Leaving Glacier we took US2 across the southern portion of the park to US89 to US287 through Helena to I-90 at MM274 near Three Forks. You could easily reverse that route. All good scenic road with a few grades, but nothing to write home about. And you'll never have to quote Sam Neill!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote