Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Recind My Bad Mouthing Of I-10

In June, I took the bold step and decided to try I-10 again. We picked up I-10 in Mobile, Al and took it to Ft. Stockton, TX. The bad part of I-10 has always been from Mobile to Beaumont. For the first time in several decades, I was okay with the road! There was about a total of 40 miles (not all at once) that I found poor quality. The rest of that section was quite satisfactory.

As of this post, I hear by stop bad mouthing I-10, through the gulf states.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
louisiana has always been the section of that road I hated

Old 08-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I-40 going through Oklahoma…..Grrrr

It was so nice to go through Houston this past winter without all the construction.
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The West side of Houston in/out-bound lanes have been completed and is so much nicer now. Almost all of I-10 from Houston, West bound is good. There is a small section between Orange and Beaumont that is still in need of repair, but not as bad as some sections in LA. I-10 Florida was very nice.

I used to have a difficult time telling anyone to take I-10, but now, as Gary said, it's not a bad road.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now that they have most of I-10 repaired in Louisiana, it's time to start work on bringing I-12 back up to snuff. I've noticed that it is starting to be rather run down in many places.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #6

Thanks Gary
It's finally good to see a post on I-10 in Louisiana that semi brags on it. It's taken a long time to get it back in shape, especially from Lafayette to the Tx. State Line. Went that way in late July and it's great now. Still a few rough overpasses and the section from Lafayette to the Atchafalaya Spillway is getting very bumpy especially Westbound. Can't say anything on I-12 from B.R. to Slidell, last time we used it it had been resurfaced. The secition of I-10 thru Slidell has been resurfaced to the bridge but don't get me started on the section from the bridge on into New Orleans. Why that wasn't constructed as an elevated roadway over a marsh/swamp like I-55 to Hammond I'll never know.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDDY View Post
Thanks Gary
The section of I-10 thru Slidell has been resurfaced to the bridge but don't get me started on the section from the bridge on into New Orleans. Why that wasn't constructed as an elevated roadway over a marsh/swamp like I-55 to Hammond I'll never know.
Dave
Note the closed off ramps in the middle of the nature preserve and that will tell the tale as to why the road was pushed through the swamp at grade. Before the wildlife refuge was established there were plans for development there, which were quashed when the preserve was established. So I have been told by a former resident who also had some stories to tell about the Causeway construction.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
How is the traffic going through New Orleans via I10? Any times to be avoided? Also, MS Streets and Trips mentions construction on the bridge over lake Pontchartrain between NO and Slidell. How much delay and should we divert up to I12 to avoid the area. We will be staying around Avery Island area for a few days. Taking US 90 would avoid back tracking to I 10 to I 12 but might be worth it if NO and the bridge is a mess.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Anyone have an opinion of I-40 in Arkansas? Wow, what a ride!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
Anyone have an opinion of I-40 in Arkansas? Wow, what a ride!
They have resurfaced much of I-40 but not enough. Just when you have finally relaxed a little you encounter another bad section.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 09-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #11

Sixpack98
The bridge over Lake Ponchartrain is a pleasure now. Eastbound is on the newest section, just a little dipsydoodle getting on it, plenty of warning though. If you're planning on staying in the N.O. area, I recommend Bayou Segnette SP on Business 90 on the Westbank, easy access and 20min. from downtown N.O. When leaving take the same route and just past the Superdome 90-B intersects I-10 E. After 0830 traffic eases thru the toll gates. $2.00 for MH and Toad. Do not cross the H.P. Long Bridge/US90. Very narrow and under construction. If you're not going to N.O. take the I-310 exit off of 90, it joins I-10 near Kenner. Go on thru Metairie, get ready for a left exit onto I-610 which joins I-10 again in about 8miles. From there not a problem on East. Flying J at Canal Rd. exit, Gulfport, Ms.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDDY View Post
Sixpack98
The bridge over Lake Ponchartrain is a pleasure now. Eastbound is on the newest section, just a little dipsydoodle getting on it, plenty of warning though. If you're planning on staying in the N.O. area, I recommend Bayou Segnette SP on Business 90 on the Westbank, easy access and 20min. from downtown N.O. When leaving take the same route and just past the Superdome 90-B intersects I-10 E. After 0830 traffic eases thru the toll gates. $2.00 for MH and Toad. Do not cross the H.P. Long Bridge/US90. Very narrow and under construction. If you're not going to N.O. take the I-310 exit off of 90, it joins I-10 near Kenner. Go on thru Metairie, get ready for a left exit onto I-610 which joins I-10 again in about 8miles. From there not a problem on East. Flying J at Canal Rd. exit, Gulfport, Ms.
Dave
Thanks for the info over the lake and Bayou Seagnette. Decided this trip to take US 90 out of Lafayette, stay around Avery Island (stock up on Tabasco) then eastbound through NOLA and on to Biloxi and Topsail. Thanks for the tip on Flying J in Gulport, we will be looking for fuel about then.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET