Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Recommendations when visiting New England States

Been wanting to visit NE for some time now and am beginning to plan a trip of about 2-3 weeks. Want to visit MA, ME, CT, NH,VT. Any suggestions re campgrounds as well as avoidances would be appreciated. Traveling from NC and will avoid NYC by moving westerly through VA, MD, PA and NY.
Time of year would be June - Sept.
Itasca Spirit 29' towing a 14' trailer.
Thanks.
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

How do you travel? ... Park the Itasca for several days and then do several day trips on your Goldwing?

Places where I think you could establish a base and then tour from there would be Saranac Lake, NY, Stowe, VT, Conway, NH, and Bar Harbor, ME

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

You might find NY nice to visit also. If you are coming up I-81, just continue to Binghamton, then SR 12 North to Forrestport, then SR 28 East to lake George. From there, into VT.

The Rt. 28 loop is through the famous Adirondack Mountains. I spent summers there in my youth. Very pretty area. You could hit it on the way up or the way back, if time permits.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Just some random places we've enjoyed:

CT: Mark Twain house in Hartford, Nautilus sub in Groton
NH: Mt. Washington cog railway, Lost River, North Conway
ME: Bar Harbor, Kennebeckport, Acadia NP
VT: King Arthur Flour factory store
NY: Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, Lake Placid bobsled run
MA: Springfield Armory, Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Fort Ticonderoga in NY.
Lake George in NY.
Climb Mt Washington in NH
Drive Rt 100 in Vt.
Booth Bay and Bar Harbor Me.

I'm sure other will have more ideas.

Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Recommendations when visiting New England States

I suggest relaxing and digesting one or two areas. For example, no way can you absorb Maine in 2-3 weeks. And the REAL Maine is BEYOND Bar Harbor! Machias, Eastport, Whiting etc, are further along the coast. Lower prices during peak season cuz there are so few tourists that go there. Blueberries $2.75 a qt. Great lobster rolls, 2 for $12, lobster right off the boat. We go out to eat where the locals do, not the tourists.
Shall I even mention that the lobstahs are delicious and the wild blueberries are full a bit beyond Bah Hawbah Maine in mid August?
Oh shoot. Now the secret is out!
Check these out (please?):
http://davenola.blogspot.com/2012/08...-gore.html?m=1
http://davenola.blogspot.com/2012/08...asure.html?m=1
http://davenola.blogspot.com/2012/08...sland.html?m=1
http://davenola.blogspot.com/2012/08...on-me.html?m=1

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with others that you are trying to cover too much in such a short time. We are relative newbies are are learning to take our time. Two summers ago we spent 3 weeks in upstate NY. It was our first trip to the area and would have liked to have more time. Last summer we did a 6 week northeast loop with our primary focus being Maine. It was our first time to Maine. Both trips are covered in our blog at www.shandyrvtravels.com
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

Two years ago we left western, PA with a couple stops in NY however our goal was Vermont. We spent 6 weeks and still didn't get to everything in that small state.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #9

As a Granite State (NH) resident, let me assure you that it takes longer to move around these parts (Northern New England). We got these things called mountains, which severely limit east/west travel (since the glaciers cut the notches in a north/south direction...). Windy roads among the hills make for pretty if not quick rides. The suggestions listed above are good - add the historic and quaint CT towns of Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Mystic. Vermont has Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Cabot Creamery, Quechee Gorge. In NH add the scenic road Rte 112 - the Kancamagus Highway between Lincoln and Conway, scenic Franconia Notch, rugged Crawford Notch, moose near Lake Umbagog. maine - don't forget Freeport with LLBean's flagship store, Rockland, especially Acadia NP. So much to see - 2 to 3 weeks just won't do it justice! Happy trails! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

New England travel

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I was thinking that NH and VT, in particular, would be mountain travel. We know we can't "see it all" this time. Hoping to get an idea of what it's like so that we can better plan the next trip.
I'd like to plan a trip to spend a month or more in each state and visit the non-tourist places.
We do plan to go above Baaa Haaabuh, so we'll look up your suggestions, Davenola.
FWIW, I had a summer employee fro BH who came to spend a couple of months in the summer visiting friends in Myrtle Beach. Marge was a delight, but her name was pronounced Madge, by her. Lovely lady. Passed now, but a wonderful remembrance.
Another reason for wanting to visit.
Again, thank you all.
Marc, I mean Maaaac
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:38 AM   #11

Definitely take the bike up Mt. Washington. You'll be talking about it for years to come. Going up is a piece of cake, coming down will increase the pucker factor.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Definitely take the bike up Mt. Washington. You'll be talking about it for years to come. Going up is a piece of cake, coming down will increase the pucker factor.
Back your snow gear you may need it on the top. Did you see the wind video from yesterday? Father's Day weekend is usually bike week at Weir's beach..tons of traffic.

Look for us in the Outlaw.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote