Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Redding to Bend

We are leaving for Bend this Saturday from San Francisco. We are towing and wondering what the roads are like from Redding to Bend. We will be traveling on I5 and US 97. Any mountain passes, log downgrades, etc. or is is a pretty easy drive avoiding mountain passes.

trirwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
It is really a pleasant drive through some very nice country. You will climb a bit north of Redding as you approach Mt. Shasta but it is not that steep or difficult. Once you pass that point it is a piece of cake with some rolling hills but nothing to worry about.

traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Thanks Nick:

So sounds like no real descents to worry about on US 97 as opposed to taking the I5 to Medford/Ashland?
trirwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

My opinion is a bit different. I think there are some pretty long grades on I-5 north of Redding but it is freeway and many of the climbs have added an extra lane as a passing lane or truck lane. It'll be hot so make sure your cooling system is in good shape.

A little info I picked up off the internet:
While the town of Weed has an elevation of 3,467 feet (1,057 m), a section of U.S. Route 97 in California is above 5,000 feet (1,500 m) in elevation with two significant summits. At mile 19 the Grass Lake Summit has an elevation of 5,101 feet (1,555 m). There is a rest area with restrooms at Grass Lake about a half-mile south of the summit.[3] At mile 30 the Mount Hebron Summit has an elevation of 5,202 feet (1,586 m). The small community of Mount Hebron follows the descent from the summit, but is located a couple miles east of the highway. The next community located directly on the highway is unincorporated town of Macdoel. Here's site on hwy 97. Weather and web cams courtesy of Medford Fuel / Pacific Pride
That said both I-5 & 97 are good roads for us travelers. Enjoy the trip.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
New Horizons Owners Club
About half way between Bend and Burn is Glass Butte. It is BLM land and you can boondock there. We spent 3 days in 2008 collecting Obsidian, volcanic glass. It is legal to collect up to 250 pounds. We ended up with about 100 pounds. This Obsidian is seven million years old and is beautiful. We mounted it on Christmas cards and gave it to our friends for the holidays. We included some info about the geology concerning the eruption. Our friends loved the gift.

If you have time you should be rock hounds for a day at Glass Butte.
Happy trails,
The Sundowners:
Jane and Chauncey, Plus the Cats: Backslash, EB, Stripes
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, 97 is a very easy drive. You will do much more climbing if you stay on I5. I have driven it several times in a MoHo/toad and have never considered it an issue. I just checked my Mountain Directory West and there is no "warning" on their map. They do suggest you be aware of the climb/descent on I5 at the state border as you climb the Siskiyous.

Have a good trip.

traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
The others hit on the two grades you'll encounter. There is a steep grade out of Redding into the Lake Shasta area. Once you climb the initial grade out of Redding, you'll hit rolling hills all the way through to the Weed area. The road through the lake area crosses a couple of bridges that feel narrow, especially when the trucks are flying through. It's a very nice/beautiful area to drive through.

Once you turn off onto 97, you'll drive through a flat area until you hit the town of Dorris which is right on the border between California and Oregon. You have to make a couple of low speed sharp turns to get through Dorris and then back on the road.

The next grade will be through the Siskiyous mountains. As another stated, it will be hot this time of year.....about a 100+ going through Redding and through Mount Shasta.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote