Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #1
Redmond, Portland, Or coast south

Hope this is in the right forum.. or moderator can you move it to the correct location. Tks,

I have 35' RV towing a Saturn Wagon. So I'm what 45+ feet. I will be traveling Solo a retired Gramma (I have NPS senior card, FMCA, Good Sam, AAA & Good Sam Roadside Assist). I don't do hikeing, bikeing. I have about 4-5 long blocks round trip before my knee gives out. I stop for an hr or so and start off again.& I'm not Stair friendly down fine. coming up knee can't do much.

Am planning to go to the FMCA Redmond Event in August, would like to leave San Francisco area on Sat Aug 9th & take 2 days to get to Redmond. From there up to Columbia River, to Portland,
Astoria, & down the coast. Think the Event is over Aug 17th.

I have 3-4 weeks from Aug 17th to make it back to the San Francisco Area Mid end Sept.
I think I'll go I-5 up and cut over to Redmond, On way back down 101 to
Crescent City then over I think it's 299 to Reddubg and I5 to home.

I've done the Redwoods so don't need to do 101 up or back in Calif.

I'd like to stay a couple/few days at each stop & use the toad to look around etc.
Need advise on Roads & best way routes as I'm 45+ and a gas engine. Also Big Rig friendly places for camping and what about reservations. Full hook=ups occasionally not mandatory every nite. Need to chg batts and dump sometimes. I have a gen if needed. Suggestions please .. also Labor Day? Couple days or more on Columbia River? One or Two locations for camping... how many days each location? Maybe stay at 4 locations on coast & use toad to sitesee or do I need more locations for camping? Anyone done this trip..? where did you stay? how long?

Thanks for any and all info. I looked at the Oregon Coast search on IRV2 and got some ideas. I ordered some info from Oregon travel and was thinking about getting a travel oregon book off Amazon.. I also belong to AAA and will get map & oregon book, I have a 2012 Good Sam Travel Directory. I'm not familar with the cities w/o map and how far between each that I should travel before next stop. So looking up RV parks and/or rvparkreviews.com is not so helpfull right now.

Again thanks,

We'll be friends until I'm old and senile, then we'll be new friends.

'97 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy, '98 Saturn Wagon, Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake
rvgrammady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
I have pretty much travelled this route. I don't know how much driving you do in a day. So here goes. I usually leave early on departure day and drive about 380 miles to Valley of the Rogue State park (full hookups or Water/Electric) I like the waterElectric loop larger spaces. This is about 20 miles North of Medford on I 5. Day trip to Crater Lake. Next stop is in the Eugene area. If I stay in Eugene there is a County park called Armitage full hookups or I head toward Bend/Redmond and stay at Holiday Farms RV park. This park is about 40 miles N/E of Eugene before the small town of McKenzie Bridge. From there you could be in Redmond in about 4 hrs.
The only park I've stayed at and enjoyed near the Columbia River is Mt Hood RV Park. Probably 3-4 hours from Redmond and day trips to the Columbia River Basin. From the Columbia River area over to Astoria area and I stay at Ft Stevens State park as a home base for seeing the area. In Coos Bay area I stay at Sunset Beach State park...a little out of the way but nice. Next stop is Harris Beach state park in in Brookings. From Crescent City I would double back to Grants Pass a much easier drive than the Ca. Alps to Redding. Going South on I 5 heading home I stay again at Valley of the Rogue State Park or drive to Redding or Red Bluff and spend the night. Can't remember the names of the RV parks available but there are several one Ithink is JGW.
Hope this helps. Reservations at the state parks ishighly recommended.

2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
I recently did a similar route. I have two drivers and traveled off season so my experience was different. My two cents only concern 3 parks we stayed at that we thought were wonderful with access to plenty of activities. Outside of Portland we stayed in Troutdale at the Sandy River RV park. If you can get up to north Washington, we Loved the Salt Creek Recreation Area, which I believe is a county park with full hook ups. Back to Oregon we also loved staying in Cannon Beach at the RV Resort with an indoor pool and spa. Since you will be traveling at peak time, I would think about making reservations. Have so much fun. We are not retired and have to travel in short spurts.
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38g
One fiancee, one stepson I never see, two teenage daughters, a bunch of fish and a pet duck. No toad yet.
pegi is offline   Reply With Quote