RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #1

Redwood National Park to Yosemite

Hi,

We are going to be traveling from Redwood National Park to Yosemite. What is the best way to go in a motorhome pulling a trailer. I am sure that I want to avoid 120 I believe it is, something about Priest Grade. Sounds like an awful place to be with a motorhome. Any help with tips would be greatly appreciated. From Yosemite we are going to Sequoia then on to Vegas, Grand Canyon etc. Thanks for any help.

Nancy

tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka96 View Post
Hi,

We are going to be traveling from Redwood National Park to Yosemite. What is the best way to go in a motorhome pulling a trailer. I am sure that I want to avoid 120 I believe it is, something about Priest Grade. Sounds like an awful place to be with a motorhome. Any help with tips would be greatly appreciated. From Yosemite we are going to Sequoia then on to Vegas, Grand Canyon etc. Thanks for any help.

Nancy
The old priest grade is pretty wicked at something like 17%
grade and is signed at both ends as prohibited for motorhomes. There is "new priest grade " that runs adjacent to it. It is twisty with hairpins but not nearly as steep. I followed a dump truck with a dump trailer up that road when we last went to Yosemite(2013). Saw plenty of RV's big and small and many had towed's on that road. If you can turn a steering wheel it shouldn't be a problem.

We went from Redwood to Yosemite IIRC via rt 299 through Lassen Volcanic Park and then down US 395 to California Rt 4. Probably not the way you want to go.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When are you going?

Do you have reservations?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
The old priest grade is pretty wicked at something like 17%
grade and is signed at both ends as prohibited for motorhomes. There is "new priest grade " that runs adjacent to it. It is twisty with hairpins but not nearly as steep. I followed a dump truck with a dump trailer up that road when we last went to Yosemite(2013). Saw plenty of RV's big and small and many had towed's on that road. If you can turn a steering wheel it shouldn't be a problem.

We went from Redwood to Yosemite IIRC via rt 299 through Lassen Volcanic Park and then down US 395 to California Rt 4. Probably not the way you want to go.
I agree, as long as you avoid Old Priest Grade you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't yet done it in our 35' motorhome but New Priest Grade wasn't a problem with our 25' TT and 1/2 ton PU.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #5

It would be helpful if you give the towns where you're leaving from and where you're going. Both Redwood and Yosemite are HUGE and there are many ways to get there.

What campgrounds are you staying for both? That would help.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
140 at Merced through Mariposa is another good route. As twogypsies stated above, where are you staying. That could change the route.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

I am not to keen on driving a lot of two lane mountain roads in the RV. Your constantly working power and gears along keeping it from running away and there is always someone behind you wanting to pass.

From Redwood come down the valley on the 99 and go to Merced, catch the 140 to Mariposa and into Yosemite. You drive up the river canyon, better than coming from the high country down to the floor.

This route is longer but a lot flatter on better straighter roads.

On the way out, same way to 99 but if you want to do something a little different then go out the south exit hwy 41, you do some hills, wave to me when you drive by me in Oakhurst, then your out to Fresno and HWY 99.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Yup. Just donít take 49 from the 120 split to Mariposa. That will be a drive to talk about!!
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #9

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your hints. Haven't decided where we are staying yet. We can't really make reservations because we are not sure exactly when we will be there.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #10

Hi again,

Sounds like the 140 is the way for us to go. We have our motorcycle to ride in Yosemite. Any recommendations on campgrounds from the 140? Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka96 View Post
Hi again,

Sounds like the 140 is the way for us to go. We have our motorcycle to ride in Yosemite. Any recommendations on campgrounds from the 140? Thanks again.
So if you are not taking the motorhome into Yosemite then camp close at Bass Lake. Also reroute, from Mariposa south on 49 then up 41 to Bass Lake

I do not know about camping off of 140 but just South of Yosemite check out Bass Lake RV park, it is about 30 min south of the south gate off of Hwy 41. Bass Lake is worth visiting, consider renting a boat. This is a resort town.

A little farther down the hill in Coarsegold off of HWY 41 is Yosemite RV Resort (not in Yosemite). If you want more info send me a PM, I live in this community. Marc

Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national