Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
I tow a fifth wheel with a Freightliner Sport Chassis, so I look like a commercial truck, but on the side of the truck it says in 2" letters, private vehicle not for hire, some people do use these MDT to pull trailers for profit, would they need to stop at the scales ?

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
Where does it say that? I know that may be the case but the guideline says "passenger or specialty vehicles, either single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more". If you have a passenger (non-commercial) vehicle that weighs more than 10,000lbs, it looks like you have to stop.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't wave you on if you didn't need to stop.
The gvwr they're talking about is the trailer not the vehicle and most trailers or toads don't weigh 10,000 lb.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Maple King, some MH's are used as commercial vehicles, and the drivers of them know to pull in, and a new "Barney Fife" officer may not know you are not one. Thus you may be asked to provide documents you won't have and most likley will not know what he is talking about, which may be interpreted as you being as smart a.. I own and drive OTR trucks and have seen first hand how you may get "pencil whipped" if you cause them any trouble or make them look bad. Best to stay out and not go looking for trouble because one day you will run up on the wrong one. Not being a know it all just relaying what I've witnessed over the years.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
When travelling through Nebraska noted signs prior to weigh scales requiring all pickups towing trailers were required to report.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
When travelling through Nebraska noted signs prior to weigh scales requiring all pickups towing trailers were required to report.
I tow a 14K 5th wheel and have been thru Nebraska several times.........right on past those weigh stations and signs.
I just wave and they have never jumped in a car and chased me down

Weigh Stations are for "COMMERCIAL" vehicles.

Maple King.....
If you feel the need..........pull on in. Nobody is going to chastise you, ticket you, give you the 3rd degree.........most likely they will be waving you on thru before you even get stopped.
If you do stop they will wave you on
If you want to 'chat' go park away from scales, go inside and inquire.
They will then tell you 'Go ON-git"----------Commercial vehicles!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
The gvwr they're talking about is the trailer not the vehicle and most trailers or toads don't weigh 10,000 lb.

You misread the quote, it says;

"passenger or specialty vehicles, either single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more...".

Please note "SINGLE or in combination (towing a trailer)".

So a single vehicle (not towing a trailer) with a GVWR in excess of 10k pounds is caught in that definition.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Had a friend that was chased down passing a weigh station. However he had a modified tractor to pull their 5er. I may have looked like an RV dealer pulling it from a distance. He had large block letters on the side "recreational vehicle not for hire". After explaining it, he was let go.

I'm sorry I do not remember what state it was in and cannot ask him as he has passed on. RIP Gerry.

BTW we have never stopped at one in our MH pulling a toad.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I tow a 14K 5th wheel and have been thru Nebraska several times.........right on past those weigh stations and signs.
I just wave and they have never jumped in a car and chased me down

Weigh Stations are for "COMMERCIAL" vehicles.

Maple King.....
If you feel the need..........pull on in. Nobody is going to chastise you, ticket you, give you the 3rd degree.........most likely they will be waving you on thru before you even get stopped.
If you do stop they will wave you on
If you want to 'chat' go park away from scales, go inside and inquire.
They will then tell you 'Go ON-git"----------Commercial vehicles!
Just reading what the sign says. Nothing about Commercial Vehicles Only.

Transport officers can (and will) pull over any vehicle they deem to be unsafe. They are peace officers and have the authority.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
I asked the Driver License Examiner that question as to whether RVs need to worry about weigh stations.

He told me that (in the state of NC), weigh stations were for commercial vehicles only. My RV would not be required to pull into a weigh station because my RV is non-commercial.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
If you are a commercial vehicle you had better pull into ALL weigh stations unless you are given a Bypass signal in your cab if it is so equipped.

If you are NOT a commercial vehicle then drive on by and let them go about their commercial business of making our roads safer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
If you're towing a larger trailer or FW that weighs over 10,000lbs, how is that any different than commercial vehicle that weighs the same? Do they not have the same impact on the roads and could be over loaded? I realize there's more to a weigh station but that's a big part of it.
We do have an impact on the road. However, the reason we get treated differently is that we are not commercial. The government regulates commerce. Traveling for personal reasons is a basic right.

There are some basic public safety reasons such as those requiring an operators license, but we have the right to travel to different parts of the country with our personal possessions.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Way back when, I had a panel van I had converted to our 'hippy-dippy' van, the four of us were coming back from Disney and the Florida weigh station guy DID chase us down...

Maybe it was the long hair, maybe just to say Hi, but once we opend the back and he saw a bed and the two toddlers, guess he decided to let us go

Never have nor been stopped again since, even though LARGE 5'er and tow vehicle, large motorhome and toad, etc....
Old 06-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #27
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Way back when, I had a panel van I had converted to our 'hippy-dippy' van, the four of us were coming back from Disney and the Florida weigh station guy DID chase us down...
I would guess that he was most likely looking for smugglers of: people, stolen goods, non-taxed items, drugs, etc. A panel van (limited windows) would be a good delivery vehicle for hiding things. Two toddlers in the back? "Have a nice trip!"
Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #28

To the OP and others that want an argument Many have said NO NEED TO STOP and have thousands of miles of travel bypassing weigh stations. Either stop at them all or agree that they are for commercial vehicles.

Al Sawyer
'05 MT. Aire