Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #29

It's not uncommon for people new to driving large noncommercial vehicles to understand this. I've pulled horse trailers with our personal horses to horse shows. Since we were not commercial we always drive right past weigh stations. I figured why, since we're noncommerical, ask for trouble pulling into a DOT commercial weigh stations and have to explain my self and why I have no logs books or a commercial license. If they had a problem then they could send a car and pull me over.

Never had an issue but had I been stopped I would have just told them we're not commercial and ask to be released.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
It's not uncommon for people new to driving large noncommercial vehicles to understand this. I've pulled horse trailers with our personal horses to horse shows. Since we were not commercial we always drive right past weigh stations. I figured why, since we're noncommerical, ask for trouble pulling into a DOT commercial weigh stations and have to explain my self and why I have no logs books or a commercial license. If they had a problem then they could send a car and pull me over.

Never had an issue but had I been stopped I would have just told them we're not commercial and ask to be released.
I found out if you pass an agricultural check station with a horse trailer, even empty, you better stop because they will chase you down in Florida and won't be nice about it. This was the first time hauling a horse trailer on the interstate lesson learned.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Only know of one anecdotal story about a private vehicle and weigh scales. Friend was moving from Alberta to BC. He was pulling a small U-Haul with his half ton. Transport Officer directed him into scale. Was over weight and $800 in ticket and fines written.

Personal observation. Returning from skiing. All traffic directed into weigh scale near Dawson Creek. Waved through with my van. Saw many half and 3/4 ton trucks with fire wood being unloaded by some unhappy looking fellows.

While we may not be commercial we must still follow all applicable laws. It is just a matter of whether or not the agency decides to focus on RV's.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #32

going across british columbia last month the scales had signs" commercial vehicles" and a bigger sign" no rvs "apparently states are not the only ones having issues with rvs cluttering up the weigh stations
Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
I found out if you pass an agricultural check station with a horse trailer, even empty, you better stop because they will chase you down in Florida and won't be nice about it. This was the first time hauling a horse trailer on the interstate lesson learned.
Interesting, I've only driven in CA (home state), AZ, NV, NM, OR and WA and never had to go through an agriculture station but then that's been a long time ago. Now going into Canada for the Canadian Nationals was totally different, needed full documentation and had to be there at a specific time to meet up with the Canadian vets so they could fully inspect the horses.

I've also used 5th wheel horse trailer once when I was moving and never would have thought about stopping even if it was normally required.

Anyway, I'll likely never need to do that again but I'll remember that.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:03 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Interesting, I've only driven in CA (home state), AZ, NV, NM, OR and WA and never had to go through an agriculture station but then that's been a long time ago.
I lived in California from 1993 - 2010 and have had to stop at agriculture checkpoints upon entering the state on most major roads. It wasn't a choice, everyone was directed through the checkpoints.

However, I am sure that some of those checkpoints are now abandoned so that the state can use the money for some other stupid reason like padding peoples pockets.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Wonder if you did pull in if they would weigh you? They would probably try to wave you on thru and you would need to climb out to talk to them. Truckers would probably get mad at that point?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you are NOT a commercial vehicle then drive on by and let them go about their commercial business of making our roads safer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Actually, that's wrong. There are 9 or 10 states that require ALL vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000+ pounds to stop at weigh scales.

An inspector at one told me it's because they know so many RV's are overloaded.

Most older Class C's for example, those built before the 450 series chassis became available, were almost at, if not over their GVWR coming out the factory door.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have a list ? I've RV'd through all 49 States ( that you can drive to ) and never saw one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Actually, that's wrong. There are 9 or 10 states that require ALL vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000+ pounds to stop at weigh scales.

Most older Class C's for example, those built before the 450 series chassis became available, were almost at, if not over their GVWR coming out the factory door.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

With all due respect PLEASE direct us to the states that require non-commercial RV's that are over 10K lbs to enter their weigh stations for weighing.

I've been to over 75% of the states and 4 Canadian Providences and haven't had to enter ANY weigh station or have ben chased down by a LEO.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
With all due respect PLEASE direct us to the states that require non-commercial RV's that are over 10K lbs to enter their weigh stations for weighing.

I've been to over 75% of the states and 4 Canadian Providences and haven't had to enter ANY weigh station or have ben chased down by a LEO.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Someone posted this link on a previous page:

Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

There are several states listed that have blanket statements about vehicles (not just commercial vehicles but VEHICLES) that have a GVWR of 10,000lbs or more.

For example, Arkansas says "The following vehicles must stop at weight/inspection stations: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, whether single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more."

I would think that #2 applies to RV's or trucks towing a trailer that have a GVWR of 10,000 or more pounds. I'm not a lawyer, but outside of the anecdotal "I've never been chased down", where does it say that non-commercial vehicles are NOT required to stop?

Just because someone hasn't been "chased down" doesn't mean that it's not required. I'm sure that there are people who have not stopped properly at a stop sign, gone through red lights or gone over the speed limit that have not been stopped. It doesn't mean that any of those are not illegal.

I think that's why there's confusion. There are several states that say even passenger vehicles towing a trailer with a GVWR over 10,000lbs have to stop but others say that they don't have to because they've never seen someone "chased down". I just don't think that is as solid as some states having clear exemptions to recreational vehicles.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #40
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
Someone posted this link on a previous page:

Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

There are several states listed that have blanket statements about vehicles (not just commercial vehicles but VEHICLES) that have a GVWR of 10,000lbs or more.

For example, Arkansas says "The following vehicles must stop at weight/inspection stations: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, whether single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more."

I would think that #2 applies to RV's or trucks towing a trailer that have a GVWR of 10,000 or more pounds. I'm not a lawyer, but outside of the anecdotal "I've never been chased down", where does it say that non-commercial vehicles are NOT required to stop?

Just because someone hasn't been "chased down" doesn't mean that it's not required. I'm sure that there are people who have not stopped properly at a stop sign, gone through red lights or gone over the speed limit that have not been stopped. It doesn't mean that any of those are not illegal.

I think that's why there's confusion. There are several states that say even passenger vehicles towing a trailer with a GVWR over 10,000lbs have to stop but others say that they don't have to because they've never seen someone "chased down". I just don't think that is as solid as some states having clear exemptions to recreational vehicles.
The problem I have with the AAA list is I've driven through four of the states on that list, including Arkansas, that all state specialty vehicles over 10,000lbs, but yet in all of those states, I've NEVER seen an RV pulled into the weigh stations. The other problem with the AAA list is it's not really an authorized publisher of this information for each state and therefore its legitimacy is easily questioned for being current and accurate.

So either the list is right and these four states just opt to not enforce it or? It's not like going through a stop sign where there may not be a cop to see you - the weigh stations are clearly manned and therefore able to catch anyone they see breaking the law.

I'm surprised no one can produce the information that clearly shows, from the states that have these restrictions, that it is a requirement to pull in and get weighed. Or perhaps it's purposely left vague like this but they legally have the option to weigh your vehicle and do it at random times? A lot of us must be pretty lucky...
Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
The problem I have with the AAA list is I've driven through four of the states on that list, including Arkansas, that all state specialty vehicles over 10,000lbs, but yet in all of those states, I've NEVER seen an RV pulled into the weigh stations. The other problem with the AAA list is it's not really an authorized publisher of this information for each state and therefore its legitimacy is easily questioned for being current and accurate.
I've actually written to the DOT's in a couple of states for some kind of authoritative response because I do agree with you about the list not being authoritative. I would think though that AAA would attempt to make sure that its list is updated otherwise it could open itself to lawsuits if someone was pulled over. I also don't see what they would gain from having inaccurate information published like that.

Quote:
So either the list is right and these four states just opt to not enforce it or? It's not like going through a stop sign where there may not be a cop to see you - the weigh stations are clearly manned and therefore able to catch anyone they see breaking the law.
How many people speed by a police office doing radar? There you have an officer that isn't tied up doing anything but people definitely go by over the speed limit and the officer does nothing. It's not like it's not illegal. I just don't think that saying "I've never seen anyone pulled over for XYZ" is accurate. Someone driving by a station is not there 24/7 and only sees what happens at that moment, not all moments.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one can produce the information that clearly shows, from the states that have these restrictions, that it is a requirement to pull in and get weighed. Or perhaps it's purposely left vague like this but they legally have the option to weigh your vehicle and do it at random times? A lot of us must be pretty lucky...
Like I said, I contacted several of the states to try and get something authoritative but I do know that in most states you can be pulled over if the officer thinks that you might be over weight. I think RVers are very low on the priority list and catching some RV guy that is 1,000lbs overweight is not the same as a commercial truck being out of regulation
Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen the Arkansas signs and they state clearly pickups towing trailers "must" stop. The fact that an officer will wave your through is nice. However if you get the wrong officer or the directive changes you could get pulled over and taken back for possibly a ticket for ignoring the sign. The law can be fickle in some cases. I think MapleKing has expressed that thought clearly.

I have also seen signs saying all vehicles over XXX must pull in with a Recreation Vehicles Exempt sign underneath it.

To add to the confusion there are also signs that say vehicles with a registered weight of xxx are required to enter when open.

A lot of this has to do with the lack of standardization of wording for the rules and signs. Must, shall, are required are definitive and do not allow for discretion as to follow or not. Then comes the interpretation of the wording by the officer. Even with their training the consistency of their response could be about the same as our opinions on the topic.

IMO the bottom line is all of the transport officers have the authority to stop anyone who they believe is traveling with an unsafe or over length or overloaded vehicle. I have seen a speeding ticket issued to a car for speeding by a transport officer. The fellow fought it and the judge upheld the ticket.

While I admire the discretion they are able to use (I do not want to stop at every open weigh scale) I hope they are vigilant in pursuing any vehicle that is operated outside of the current specifications covering that vehicle.

Closed Thread