Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post

Someone posted this link on a previous page:

Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

There are several states listed that have blanket statements about vehicles (not just commercial vehicles but VEHICLES) that have a GVWR of 10,000lbs or more.

For example, Arkansas says "The following vehicles must stop at weight/inspection stations: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, whether single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more."

I think that's why there's confusion. There are several states that say even passenger vehicles towing a trailer with a GVWR over 10,000lbs have to stop but others say that they don't have to because they've never seen someone "chased down". I just don't think that is as solid as some states having clear exemptions to recreational vehicles.
Georgia is also on the list with the same verbiage as Arkansas. Tell me, how many snowbirds driving big Class A rigs going to and from Florida running I-75 and I-95 do you really think stop in those weigh stations?

My guess would be ZERO.

Again, let me say this one more time, if people would take the time and do their OWN research as to the federal DOT regulations, you will quickly realize that those regulations are for COMMERCIAL vehicles ONLY.

The ONLY exception is when you have an agriculture checkpoint in SOME states.

No matter what you are driving if it is for commercial purposes you damn well better stop at the weigh stations or you WILL be ticketed.

There are even laws about driving rental trucks with personal property on board and having to use the weigh stations. Many people would not even know that UNLESS they were told by authorities or found the information on the Internet.

Do the research and put in the time on your computer to find this stuff out for yourself instead of listening to peoples opinions including mine.

After all of the miles, US states and Canadian Providences that I have driven through over the 14 years of Full-Time RVing I will stick with what I know and believe to be correct.

Others can do as they wish.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #44

This is an interesting discussion.

Living in Massachusetts, if you have a pickup with dual rear wheels you must register commercial. This is even if you are using it as a personal vehicle.

So, would I be required to stop?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #45
Community Administrator

The OP thanked everyone on 6/2. It's time to move on as this horse has left the barn.

Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread