RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
one way to look at this.... how would you like to see truckers stopped to rest in an area marked RVs only?

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #16

"how would you like to see truckers stopped to rest in an area marked RVs only?"

How would you like to see rest areas marked "RV only"? I am not sure where the idea that truckers were entitled to a free place to sleep came from. Part of it was safety regulations that required them to take a nap instead of a pill to stay awake. So unlike the rv traveler, who can continue to drive long after it is unsafe for them to be on the road, truck drivers can't. But the reality is the same for both, they should be stopped and that's one of the reasons we have rest stops. We are all paying for those stops and we all have right to use them.

Of course there is a set of RV'ers who basically live on the road and use rest stops the same way a lot of homeless people use public spaces. They aren't just stopping long enough to get on with their trip. But limiting stops to 12 or 24 hours would allow law enforcement to move those people along.

RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The one's I am referring to were in the Carolinas. They are big like the truck and RV side of a standard rest area but with few if any services. I understand not taking a space from a trucker in need, but when I passed them they were empty. All I needed were 3 minutes to pull over and use the head.
There is one on I-95 in southern South Carolina between Yemassee and the state line that is "commercial truckers only" We have been at The Oaks at Point South for 3 weeks and been to Savannah 1/2 dozen times. Each time we have seen cars sitting in this area, with plenty of room left over, this place is huge.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #18

Quote:
The one's I am referring to were in the Carolinas. They are big like the truck and RV side of a standard rest area but with few if any services. I understand not taking a space from a trucker in need, but when I passed them they were empty. All I needed were 3 minutes to pull over and use the head.
I just pull over and use the head
I would not think twice about using a closed weight station. Especially for that short of time..or even a off/on ramp.
No need to pull into rest stop or rest plaza unless it's close. I use the picture spots on highways. Or overlook spots. It's a quick stop and go.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
That hardly qualifies as a stop. As long as you are safely out of the way of traffic, I cant see anyone complaining. Most scales that are closed probably aren't opening in the next three minutes. If they were opened at the time, I DEFINETELY would not pull it there. For one thing, you might be waiting in line just to get in there.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
If it's just a "restroom" stop, If and a normal rest area is not avail I normally just take an off or on ramp that has room on the side to pull off past the fog line. I'll use the toilet, do a walk around and be on my way Same thing I did as a Truck driver for a safety check or driver swap but with th MH I now have a convenient Head I didn't have back then Taking a nap is a different thing!
Scales are truck only and if closed you risk the scalemaster coming in to work at any time and booting you. Many aren't sympathetic since you have no hours of service rules you HAVE to abide by and should / could have stopped earlier in a RV park or proper place. Do you feel lucky?
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I've always avoided scales and the like, but can't recall seeing "truckers only" marked in rest areas. Don't they usually say cars (with directional arrow) and trucks and vehicles with trailers (directional arrow)? My interpretation of the latter is "longer vehicles" and that would include campers. That's where I've always gone for naps, or as others have suggested, RV areas at Flying J or, Walmart, other truck stops, Cabela's, etc. There are many places to "nap". On occasion we've even pulled off at a rural exit that was large enough with a straight shot back on the interstate to nap.

Steve
Virginia has a few rest stops that are "Trucks Only". Some are together with a weight station where they cross the scales and then enter the rest area. A couple of miles from these are a "Cars Only" or "No Trucks Allowed" rest area that has dedicated RV parking spots. If I'm not mistaken Virginia does not permit overnight parking in their rest areas.

Walmart stores are starting to restrict parking. My local Walmart posted "No Overnight Parking" signs in their parking lot within the past 2 weeks.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Walmart stores are starting to restrict parking. My local Walmart posted "No Overnight Parking" signs in their parking lot within the past 2 weeks.
I am seeing more and more of this. With the increasing problems getting space in campgrounds, Walmarts have been our escape valve. But this is becoming increasingly problematic too.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Resting while traveling

Quote:
I am seeing more and more of this. With the increasing problems getting space in campgrounds, Walmarts have been our escape valve. But this is becoming increasingly problematic too.
The Walmart national policy has not changed- as far as I know- but the local manager has always had discretion with consideration for local ordinances, conditions, or concerns.
In the PNW we’ve encountered numerous locales where local authorities have banned parking lot overnights; in the northeast we’ve found many Walmarts et al who do not own their parking lots, and are subject to owner restrictions. It’s in the rural Midwest and south where we’ve found the most accommodating folks.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
one way to look at this.... how would you like to see truckers stopped to rest in an area marked RVs only?

Ken
You mean like 4 wheelers taking ALL the RV parking spots at Cracker Barrel? Coming back from Tampa a couple of weeks ago we stopped at 3 different Cracker Barrels along I-75 and in all 3 the RV parking spaces were completely filled by cars, not a single RV parked there.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
my take is this. truckers are on the road by necessity..they're trying to make a living. and if the reports are true there is a critical shortage of short-term/overnight truck parking spots.
I've been saying this for 5 years or so. You see trucks parked off the side of virtually every on ramp, ESPECIALLY where there are truck stops. Trucker stops, finds the truck stop full, and heads to the on ramp and parks. The state has even widened and reinforced the "emergency lane" of the on ramps in many places near me, and police seem to ignore them.

If there is a place to park a truck, there will be one. Its crazy. You could make a fortune building truck stops and selling fuel and services.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 AM   #26

If it says "trucks only", why would there be a question?

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel