Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Restrictions taking fruit/veggies into California?

We're heading to CA from CO in our Class C next week and plan on taking food of course. We'll drop down to Las Vegas then over to CA. Is there restrictions on a person taking personal fruit/veggies into CA? Years ago, coming in from Reno (northern route) they used to stop people the border and ask what was on board. Thanks!
Jeeperdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #2

Not on I-10...
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

Not sure about I-15 but on I-40 they asked what we had, and where we bought it, we answered them and were told to have a good trip. I do remember years ago we were asked to leave some of our produce with them or eat it there, but not last year!
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
January 2010 on I 10 they asked where we were coming from and sent us on our way. February 2011 they waved us right on thru without stopping. I think it depends on how they feel the day you pass thru.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

NO. I have reentered Ca on I5, 8, 10, 15, Hwy 88, 101, and 395 and have not been questioned about food, fruit or vegetables.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
laj

in nov. of last yr. went down I-5 in my p/u only, got stopped, asked if i had any fresh produce at all, and i saw some m/h having to clean out what they had. They do it just to force you to buy there to support their economy.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

All the "no" responses really surprise me because I believe there are agricultural inspection stations at all of the interstate entrances. Depending on the time of year and where I tell them I've been, I'm not always asked about food on board but I sure think the stations are there.
CDFA > Help Protect California - BORDER STATIONS

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
laj

you are quite right rick
and even some of the other entrance roads. Not always opened
but still there.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #9

Howdy!

California the only state in the lower 48 that we have traveled in that they stop you and search your vehicle! We have been stopped several times they have came into our RV and searched it stating to be looking for fruit, plants and animals. Only fruit flies we ever had was from fruit we purchased in California and they didn't search use wanting them back when we left.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I travel I-5 from Oregon to California in my motorhome every three or four months and am almost always asked if I have fresh fruit or vegetables.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They asked what we had. We told them the fruits and vegies. They asked where we got them. We replied, Texas. We were free to go.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Last time through about two weeks ago, they also asked me if I was carrying any firewood.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Very few of the agricultural inspection stations are open any more. The one on I-10 west of Quartzsite has people manning the booths, but they just wave you through (they're mainly looking for illegals).

When we were heading south on I-5 from Oregon in December, I don't even remember an inspection station...certainly, if we went through one, they didn't stop us and ask any questions.

If fact, the ONLY place we've ever been asked about fruit or vegetables at a California inspection station was the one west of Parker, AZ, and that's been a few years ago. They confiscated our apples, regardless of the fact they they had been purchased at the Albertson's store in Blythe, CALIFORNIA!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeeperdon;
Coming from Colorado, you will probably be coming in on I-15. There is an inspection station NE of Barstow that is still normally open. If you have out of state tags, you will be asked. Depending on what you have, you may not be allowed to bring it in. The reason- California is a very large produce growing state. They do not want pests in that can damage crops. In past years, there has been a type of fly that has gotten in, and it has taken a very expensive spraying program to get rid of them. Also, where they have shown up, the crops in that area are not allowed to be sold. (meaning the farmer looses the crop, in CA, a crop or orchard of almost anything is at least 160 acres, but usually several sections). (BTW, there is a way around the inspection station on I-15, but I didn't tell you that.)
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote