Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
Road Conditions

I am traveling from OH to Boston and looking for the best roads. I have gone through PA in the past and the roads were terrible. I have not traveled through NY but I would like to avoid the toll on I90 but if this is the best road I will pay the tolls to keep my motorhome intact. Has any one traveled the I80/I86/I88/I90 and if so could you please let me know the road conditions.

Thanks
Cathy&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

No advice but I'm interested in the answers! I've read about the rough roads (specifically I-90) in NY and wonder if it's an exaggeration.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Paula View Post
I am traveling from OH to Boston and looking for the best roads. I have gone through PA in the past and the roads were terrible. I have not traveled through NY but I would like to avoid the toll on I90 but if this is the best road I will pay the tolls to keep my motorhome intact. Has any one traveled the I80/I86/I88/I90 and if so could you please let me know the road conditions.

Thanks
I just drove the 86/88/90 ( Mass Pike ) route last week. There are some rough spots in western NY and 86 is closed for about 10 miles through the indian reservation at Salamanca NY, but an adequate detour is plainly marked. Overall it is a beautiful route through the foothills of the Allegany mountains and the southern tier of NY skirting close to the Finger Lakes and the Catskill Mts. All bets are off when you get to Boston, as the traffic is like any other metropolitan city in the country these days. I drove the NY thruway a few years ago , and it had more than its share of rough spots too. I think it is human nature, we complain about the rough roads, and then complain about the road construction that it takes to fix them.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If you don't to pay the expensive tolls, and you are not in a big hurry, look at route 20, just below I-90, runs just south of 90 and is a great sight seeing road, and the last time I went across it, it was in great shape.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

Although I-80 to I-81 is not too bad, the roads through Potholevania are still lousy. I-84 has major construction and is down to single lanes in the Milford area.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

If you are not in a hurry I would also look at something like PA RT 6 east to Towanda PA then cut North to I86 in Sayre. Mostly low population so traffic moves right along but enough slow spots to find an occasional POI.

FWIW I find the superslabs in both NY and PA to often be in worse shape than the regular truck roads. They get the majority of the heavy truck traffic that pounds the roads into a mess in a few years. The marked truck routes have clearance or have ample warnings posted. They may also have steeper hills but fewer sections of long elevated highway. One picks one's poison. ;-) Google maps helps by showing where the construction is.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote