Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Road conditions for Class A to Taylor Reserviou

Has anyone driven their class A motor home (or even a C) up the road to Taylor Reservior north of Almont, Colorado? I understand some of it is under construction and undecided whether or not to try it in our DP.

Appreciate any information for this area.

Wagonmaster2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've not been there, but you may want to call the Taylor Park Trading Post. They will have the latest info. 970.641.2555. They run the RV park there as well.

Welcome to Taylor Park Trading Post

Hope that helps!

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We go twice a year but not yet this year. We're going July 25ish. I don't know any thing about road construction this year but we'll be going over "Cottonwood Pass" as we do always. Taylor Pass goes from Taylor Park to Aspen, not Buena Vista.
There is not an RV, period, that could go over Taylor Pass, it is a very very difficult 4X4 route that I am nervous about trying it in my stock Jeep Wrangler, my ATVS do it so far, but still scary.
The top of Cottonwood pass is dirt on the west side and narrow, look way down the switchbacks and male sure no one is coming up. The switch backs are wide enough for 2 vehicles and you can see from one to the next. It's really not bad but can be rough, depending on how long ago it was graded.
Disregard Taylor pass, you said Taylor Reservoir and I thought you said Taylor Pass.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #4

Max - give us a hollar after you get there if you make the drive down the canyon to Almont or the Post Office there as to the condition of the road. It's always been a rather bumpy uneven blacktop but I understand it's all tore up now with over 8 miles of it muddy and slick due to the rain they are getting. The first few miles down from the reservoir were replaced several years ago and is really nice but I guess they are working on the rest of it.

We always come in from the south through Gunnison but if the road is as bad as I'm hearing we may not do it this year. Also, have heard that several of the camp grounds have shut off their water due to Colorado regulations of some sort.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Been over it a few times in last few weeks in a car
Road was in excellent shape
Has been raining a lot in afternoons, go early and avoid the slop!
Fishing is great! Treat yourself to a half day morning pontoon boat rental, views and fishing are unforgettable!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #6

BTW, it is a dirt road from summit to Taylor res. and often traveled by double and triple rigs. That is, coming from BV

Oops, after rereading OP, think he is coming from Gunnison, I haven't been there recently
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We were out there in early July. The road from Almont up to the reservoir is under construction. When we were there the road was mostly torn up but passable even by Class A's. Some pickups hauling large fifth wheelers were on the road. Expect some lengthy delays as the road is one-way in places.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #8

Heard the construction mostly starts around the entrance to Rosy Lane CG, can an RV get into the CG without enduring the torn up road and delays?

Or does all the road work start further down stream closer to the bridge that crosses the Taylor River by the entrance to North Bank CG just north of Harmels?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Heard the construction mostly starts around the entrance to Rosy Lane CG, can an RV get into the CG without enduring the torn up road and delays?

Or does all the road work start further down stream closer to the bridge that crosses the Taylor River by the entrance to North Bank CG just north of Harmels?
Sorry I can't answer this. I was on a motorcycle at the time, heading for Cottonwood Pass, and didn't pay any attention. The construction was about 8 miles of road up to the reservoir.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2
Max - give us a hollar after you get there if you make the drive down the canyon to Almont or the Post Office there as to the condition of the road. It's always been a rather bumpy uneven blacktop but I understand it's all tore up now with over 8 miles of it muddy and slick due to the rain they are getting. The first few miles down from the reservoir were replaced several years ago and is really nice but I guess they are working on the rest of it.

We always come in from the south through Gunnison but if the road is as bad as I'm hearing we may not do it this year. Also, have heard that several of the camp grounds have shut off their water due to Colorado regulations of some sort.

Wagonmaster2
I'm here now, staying at Lakeview CG. We went to Crestedbutte twice and endured the mess. They one way traffic at 2different places and u may sit for 20 min at each one if u have bad luck timing, then u follow the pilot car through a rough road. It's not a deal breaker tho especially if u only have to go though it once going in and once going out. Just a big PITA and an extra half or whole hour
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #11

Max, do you remember about where the hold-ups were in comparison to Rosy Lane CG just up the road from Harmel's and Lottis Creek CG where they did all the new construction last year while it was closed. They were supposed to be constructing some kind of horse CG a little further back from the highway there .

Also, understand the State of Colorado has required that the water in several of the CGs in the canyon be shut off due to the fact they don't have any kind of chlorination system serving the water distribution.

We may look at Rosy Lane or One Mile CGs if the road "destruction" is further on up the canyon.

Hope you are enjoying the weather, we are having 105-110 degree days here in Oklahoma, and can't stop thinking about that area for September.