Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
How many days to you take to drive from SD to Seattle. Regardless you must be tough with a turn around in three days.

The milling work on I-5 was much more in control this fall than last June when they were leaving huge drop offs and height differences between lanes. There was a drop off near Avenal that would scare the daylights out of anyone. I couldn't understand why the first CHIPs officer by wouldn't have gotten someone there with a warning sign. Apparently Caltrans got the attention of the contractor doing the work and while still rough in November it seemed much less so.
It was a bit hurried...don't recommend it...1251miles one way in 2.5 days
Three nights at the Seattle/Tacoma KOA and home by Monday morning

Oh yeah, we hit those "drop-offs" The entry was the drop, but the exit was a huge bump back up to the old roadway. It was totally unacceptable that the warnings were not better. When Southbound, we were prepared and slowed dramatically.

Hope the CalTrans contractor has been told that was not OK.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #16

I5 from Grapevine south to above Kern Co line is horrid. Terrible roads. The condition of roadway shakes the rig badly.. I suggest Hwy 99. Runs parallel turns into I 5 about Sacto..

Old 01-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #17

Where are you staying in Merced? I'd recommend Flag City in Lodi. As suggested, use Redding (3 very good parks there) to wait for a safe time to go into Oregon. The pass won't be a problem for you based on your previous experience. (As an aside, we recently used 299 out of Redding to Eureka & back. Did Cajon a few weeks later. It seemed like nothing by comparison.) Be advised that wind can be an issue through the general area of Weed at times.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #18

My plan was to use 99 through central CA as I've travelled that route before and like it now that most all the construction is over. I was mainly concerned with the I5 in NorCal as I've not been up there in a very long time. Anyhow, with the storms setting in early this am and the fact the weather in Eagle Point called for rain the entire time we would have been there led us to cancel our trip for now. Thanks to all who responded, I'm gong to save this info for later.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #19

For what it's worth, with in-laws in Redding, we've trekked from Temecula north many, many times. I usually use 99 for a number of reasons. With a gas coach, I can fill up at the Costco(s) on Panama in Bakersfield & in Woodland. Both are much less crowded than most. The park I though you might be staying at in Merced, we had a very bad experience at about 10 years ago. Pulled in after dark in December not knowing that the area had been hit by much heavier rains than we'd encountered driving. Backed into our assigned site only to feel the coach sinking in the mud. Had to be towed out the next morning. I find it challenging to get to 5 from 99 in Sacramento. We take 120 near Manteca over to 5. That not only makes getting thru Sac much easier, it takes us right by Flag City RV. A very nice park that takes Passport America with some restrictions.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us out West View Post
Yup.

Get a clue from the truckers and follow their lead.

Don't give the rest of us a bad name.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #21

biosensai,
I looked up your recommended park in Lodi and it looks very good. I also like the way it's on 120, which, as you said makes the transition to the I5 a snap. Will use that when the weather clears up and we decide to go.
btw, we live in south Corona (Horsethief Canyon), so I guess we're neighbors!
Old 01-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt earp View Post
biosensai,
we live in south Corona (Horsethief Canyon), so I guess we're neighbors!
Gonna be . . . again. We had a beautiful place in the hills above the wine country. Wife & I, both teachers in the same district, were offered a great early retirement package. Took it in a heartbeat. I absolutely hate the traffic around here, so we decided to sell everything, full-time it, and find a better place to live. Didn't take long before we realized that we wanted to keep all of our local medical people - & my wife missing the grandkids in Menifee something fierce. Decided extended time fit our needs better than full-time. Building a small place in a 55+ in Murrieta. So we're back. As much as I love the N Cal coast, where I thought we'd wind up, So Cal's weather is unbeatable so much of the time.