RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Road from Denver to Silverton

Looking for experiences going from Denver to silverton.

Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughydman View Post

How much time do you have ?

Simple Map - https://binged.it/2JFtToy

As others will likely tell you this is a Target Rich Route.

What are you after.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

All were good experiences! We've roamed western Colorado many, many times. You can't go wrong with the route Busskipper gave above.

Do you have any special interests along the route or once you get there? When are you going? It's a little early for Silverton right now unless you're just staying in the town proper.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Let this go overnight and thought this may help - Post #4 this is an old post that is my go to for first drives into Colorado.

You being from Longmont - just take the Diagonal to Boulder then RT 93 to Golden and RT 6 then follow the route given with the many options along the way.

Recommendations in Colorado? - Post #4

Or this - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...1.cfm#26550381

Best of Luck, Wish I was there!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #5

suggested route

Is this a route full of mountain passes? As you can see I've got a gasser that when I'm fully loaded doesn't do mountain passes well. Not scared of a few hills but if the whole route is hilly might recondsider. Just looking at getting there. I'll have a truck full of anxious kids with me.
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Is this a route full of mountain passes? As you can see I've got a gasser that when I'm fully loaded doesn't do mountain passes well. Not scared of a few hills but if the whole route is hilly might recondsider. Just looking at getting there. I'll have a truck full of anxious kids with me.
I-70 goes Through the Mountain/Loveland Pass - officially the Eisenhower–Edwin C. Johnson Memorial Tunnel, - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveland_Pass - at 11,158' it's up there - then the next real challenge is Monarch Pass - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_Pass - again at 11,312 is up there too.

While I was younger, Before Al Gore invented the Internet , I never knew about all these Passes that I was driving - I just remember going up the Mountain and worrying how to keep from burning up the brakes going Down - was never a problem going up as I slowed down to look out at the Beautiful Rocks so I barely ever remember any of them, unless the sights were memorable.

So go ........take your time this is a Beautiful Drive - Leadville - Turquoise Lake - Camp Hale - Twin Lakes/Independence Pass - Buena Vista - Arkansas River - Browns Canyon NM - Collegiates - Salida -Monarch Mountain Ski Resort - Gunnison - Blue Mesa Reservoir - Crested Butte - Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - Montrose - Ridgway SP - Ouray - RT 550 to Silverton - then all the 4X4 trails to Ride Hike - Train to or from Durango.

Then look over this post for insight into the San Juan's - Ouray and San Juan's - Rock-N-Roll 3 days to Visit

With all that's on this route you will need TIME - because no-one will be bored.

Enjoy the drive - Can't get across those Rocky Mountains, unless you go UP,

Let us know how else we can help,
Old 05-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

I would take hwy 285 to Monte Vista and connect to hwy160 to Durango. From there to Silverton.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

Many opinions and many tolerance levels. It needs to be pointed out that 550 from Ourey to Silverton can cross many peoples comfort level for steep/no shoulder roads.
tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #9

You can read about all the possible routes, potential campsites, and not-to-miss attractions on my blog HERE.

But you will have to cross passes to get to Silverton no matter which direction you come from. My favorite is the Engineer Pass 4WD road from Lake City. But I wouldn't take my fifth wheel over it--just my truck--as it is a 4WD road.

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 CC 6.7L CTD 4x4
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote