Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Road report

A few weeks ago I asked for opinions on the quality of I-10 from Mobile to Houston, and I received several replies which I appreciated. A few days later I drove the 460 +/- miles over two days. I was driving westbound, so this info applies directly only to that side. This is what I found.

I-10 @ Mobile was Very good; this very good, smooth asphalt continued to the MS line and all the way through the state of MS.

In LA I followed the I-10/12/10 route via Baton Rouge, so I cannot speak to the I-10 condition through New Orleans. From the MS line to Exit 92 where we overnighted I found very good cond except for a very few short sections of older concrete; the 18 mile Atchafalaya Bridge is all concrete but in good smooth condition. Immediately west of this bridge is about 15 miles of rough old concrete road which gives a very uncomfortable ride, but there is much work in progress in this area. Due to work areas the traffic was fairly thick in this area.

I took the I-210 bypass at Lake Charles. About half of this (6 miles) was older concrete, giving an uncomfortable ride. After rejoining I-10 there was about 2-3 miles of bad old concrete, another rough ride.

Entering TX at the Sabine, there is a few miles of very bad old concrete in a construction zone. After that it was good asphalt with a few small bumps and some visible cracks, but a good smooth ride right through Houston. We left the highway at Exit 751.

We arrived in the Houston area just before rush hour on a Thursday, leaving the highway on the west side at about 1500. Traffic was a little heavy for the last 30 miles or so, but the highway speed never got below about 50mph. Signage was good, and we had no problem navigating through the city.

Given the reports I received and the road I saw, I think it's important to note that while there are a half dozen or so sections of older concrete road that make for a rough ride in places, these sections are mostly short, and most are in construction areas that are in the process of being resurfaced. The cumulative total of rough road between Mobile and Houston was only about 30 or so miles out of a total distance of 460-- about 6%, that's all. In my view it is a good road with a few relatively small areas to be aware of, but not even close to being among the worst I've seen in the last few years. I would rate it better than many of the Interstates found in PA, and in many northeastern states.

There are also long stretches where the road is two-lane each way, and in some areas the truck traffic was fairly heavy. The mere presence of trucks does not make it bad road.

I hope this was helpful.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Great update John, thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

Good report. Thanks! We never thought I-10 was a bad road. No interstate is in perfect condition.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

Thanks for taking the time to make this report.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote