Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't find the stretch around Lake Charles to be nearly as bad as the stretch between Lafayette and the Atchafalaya swamp basin bridge. Those roadway sections are too short or something, causing the "boating" feel of being on choppy water. The sharp curve coming into LC from the east does require a reduction in speed or drawers will definitely slide open.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
Been there, done that. Twice. No worse stretch of road in all my travels. Dangerous at any speed. Problem is, I haven't found a reasonable way around it! Will be heading that way again next month if anyone has a suggestion.
That would depend on where you are headed. :-) I live in SATX and I used to have to travel to Huntsville, AL several times a year for family. I take I-20 to the north. It goes through Shreveport to Monroe, straight line. Now, it may be out of the way for you, but it is very nice drive, smooth, pretty, not a lot to do though besides scenery. I recommend fueling up in Monroe or Shreveport as there aren't a lot of stations in between. There's actually almost nothing between. :-) Hope that helps!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #17

The problem here is not the swamp, not the heat nor the humidity, tho each of those items get blamed regularly. The problem has always been the low bid contracting and the brother in law deals. When you get five bids varying from 20 million to 50 million for the same job, the 20 mil gets the contract then cuts costs somewhere to turn a profit. we drive over those cost cuts every day in Louisiana. and pay higher insurance than most. I've warned people for years to avoid I-10 and I-49. Its a shame too because there's so much to see in LA.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonMama View Post

That would depend on where you are headed. :-) I live in SATX and I used to have to travel to Huntsville, AL several times a year for family. I take I-20 to the north. It goes through Shreveport to Monroe, straight line. Now, it may be out of the way for you, but it is very nice drive, smooth, pretty, not a lot to do though besides scenery. I recommend fueling up in Monroe or Shreveport as there aren't a lot of stations in between. There's actually almost nothing between. :-) Hope that helps!
Biggest places between Shreveport and Monroe are Minden and Ruston.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #19

I-10 or 210 at Lake Charles?

I-10 or 210 in the Lake Charles area? My wife and I are recent full-timers and we'll be traveling this stretch of road (I-10) within the week to head farther west. We appreciate the warning about I-10, and the mention of the specific problem areas. I noticed that there's a 210 bypass around the Lake Charles area. Usually a bypass takes us around a metropolitan area, but from Google Earth the area that I-10 goes through doesn't look any more or less congested than the area 210 goes through. Is one better than the other for an RV'er passing through? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #20

Never been on the bypass but I-10 is not too bad for traffic most of the time in lake Charles. Just rough road.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #21

Mwaves;
I-210 is not really much of a bypass, the city has move south to encompass it, and right now there is a considerable amout of road construction at the foot of the I-210 bridge so it is not my favorite route. I-10 has a steep bridge, and many take the bypass to avoid it, but I usually make it over at 40-45 mph. It has been the site of several accidents in the past, but not so much lately.
I hope you enjoy your sojourn through Cajun Country.

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItascaRVer View Post
Mwaves;
I-210 is not really much of a bypass, the city has move south to encompass it, and right now there is a considerable amout of road construction at the foot of the I-210 bridge so it is not my favorite route. I-10 has a steep bridge, and many take the bypass to avoid it, but I usually make it over at 40-45 mph. It has been the site of several accidents in the past, but not so much lately.
I hope you enjoy your sojourn through Cajun Country.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne! We really appreciate the reply and information!

Cliff & Patty
Old 01-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
<snip>
I cannot believe any section of interstate can be let go to this point. It was down right dangerous. I am honestly astonished I didn't break any suspension components.

To say I will never travel I-10 thru LA again is an understatement.
It hasn't been let go, it was built that way. Been that way as far back as I can remember.
Used to drive from Jacksonville to San Diego regularly. I-10 in the panhandle was awful, hours and hours of nothing to look at. Then the carnival ride that was Louisiana.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post

It hasn't been let go, it was built that way. Been that way as far back as I can remember.
Used to drive from Jacksonville to San Diego regularly. I-10 in the panhandle was awful, hours and hours of nothing to look at. Then the carnival ride that was Louisiana.
Agreed. Same with I49. Low bid projects.