Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Road suggestions to West Glacier from South Dakota

After passing through South Dakota we will be heading to West Glacier. We are in a 45’ Newmar Mountain Aire towing and need recommendations on routes.
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #2

You didn't say where in So. Dakota but you could take 12 or I-90 west then north on 93, 35 or 83. Montana's secondary roads are very nice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

Take I90 east. In Montana just south of Crow Agency stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. 7th Branch RV Park just south of there on I90/Rt 87 if you want. Then stop at Devil's Tower National Momument in Wyoming. There's a campground there but you will need a reservation depending on what time of year. There are 2 ways to get there (I-90 to Moorcroft) or N-37/212 back roads from the Little Bighorn BNM. We're going to use the back roads in October.

Oops. misread which way you were going. Do the reverse of above.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You didn't say where in So. Dakota but you could take 12 or I-90 west then north on 93, 35 or 83. Montana's secondary roads are very nice.

We will be in the Custer area so it looks like the 90W to the 93N should work.
Thanks for your help
Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #5

…...generally speaking, you have two options--1- is the southern route thru Wy and southeast MT on the interstates and primary roads, coming into the Glacier are from the south and Flathead Lake region --lots to see and do along this route.
2- is to work north thru Medora ND area and ND Badlands, and eastern MT to HY2...lots of wheat fields and small towns and you come into Glacier from the east [on HY2, not on the park road]...not so much to see going this route. Either way, road construction in the northern states is always a possibility during the summer months....safe travels!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
route to west glacier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
…...generally speaking, you have two options--1- is the southern route thru Wy and southeast MT on the interstates and primary roads, coming into the Glacier are from the south and Flathead Lake region --lots to see and do along this route.
2- is to work north thru Medora ND area and ND Badlands, and eastern MT to HY2...lots of wheat fields and small towns and you come into Glacier from the east [on HY2, not on the park road]...not so much to see going this route. Either way, road construction in the northern states is always a possibility during the summer months....safe travels!
Thanks Old Scout

Looks like I90 to either 83 or 93.

Thanks Scott
Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have done the 93 route, but just looking at Google Earth, the 83 route looks good also. If we do Glacier again it will be 83
doc is offline   Reply With Quote