Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Road to Alaska

We just bought our first Class A Winnebago Vista and plan to take our first long road trip to Alaska from northern California this summer. We wonder if anyone has experienced Alaska in an RV? Did you drive the whole way or take a ferry part way? Are all the roads paved and easy to drive? If you have any suggestions for us as first-time RVers heading to Alaska, we would love to hear them.
kdmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #2

We drove the ALCAN highway last summer. Road was good providing you take your time. Get a copy of Milepost guide and it will help you plan ypur trip, where to stop, distance between towns, camping suggestions etc. we drove in a 40' HM with toad. good luck and happy travels.

Ferrys get expensive so we didn't take any and 40' HM don't fit very well but heard HMs less than 26' are better on ferrys. Our trip from CO covered lots of Canada and spent 5 weeks in AK for a total of 14 week trip.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
First of all, welcome to iRV2!

We've lived in Alaska for decades, and now live in Colorado. The Alcan Highway is in very good condition, paved all the way (a far cry from gravel from so many years ago), and will be a fun trip. Our only precaution about the highway is to watch out for "frost heaves". After a tough winter, some small sections of the road will suffer damage and need repair. They normally are flagged/marked to alert drivers when that happens. Slow down. Our last trip out of Alaska was wonderful - very little traffic, paved roads, and high average speeds. Loved it!

As recommended, the first thing to do is get a copy of the Milepost Magazine:

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Makes great reading, lets you plan your trip, find campgrounds, and know where to get fuel and food.

Enjoy!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
We drive the Alcan quite often. Get a current copy of the 'Mile Post' and make sure that you have whatever you need to take LOTS of pictures. What time of the year are you going to be traveling? Any idea what route you are going to take? As has already been stated, the ferry is spendy and not something I would do in a MH. We will be leaving AK mid May going down through the West coast, N. Cal, over to Salt Lake City, over to Idaho and then back to AK. Are you going to travel solo or are you traveling with some others? Either way it can be a fun trip.
As for your questions, ask a way, as there has been lots of people make this trip.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
First of all, welcome to iRV2!

We've lived in Alaska for decades, and now live in Colorado. The Alcan Highway is in very good condition, paved all the way (a far cry from gravel from so many years ago), and will be a fun trip. Our only precaution about the highway is to watch out for "frost heaves". After a tough winter, some small sections of the road will suffer damage and need repair. They normally are flagged/marked to alert drivers when that happens. Slow down. Our last trip out of Alaska was wonderful - very little traffic, paved roads, and high average speeds. Loved it!

As recommended, the first thing to do is get a copy of the Milepost Magazine:

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Makes great reading, lets you plan your trip, find campgrounds, and know where to get fuel and food.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the great information! We've driven through every state in the nation except Alaska but this will be the first time in an RV. I can't wait to get started!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Welcome to the forum!
We drive the Alcan quite often. Get a current copy of the 'Mile Post' and make sure that you have whatever you need to take LOTS of pictures. What time of the year are you going to be traveling? Any idea what route you are going to take? As has already been stated, the ferry is spendy and not something I would do in a MH. We will be leaving AK mid May going down through the West coast, N. Cal, over to Salt Lake City, over to Idaho and then back to AK. Are you going to travel solo or are you traveling with some others? Either way it can be a fun trip.
As for your questions, ask a way, as there has been lots of people make this trip.
We plan to travel in late July early August all the way up to Fairbanks. We (my husband and our cat George) hope to be able to see some of the auroras borealis in late August; at least that is what we've been told. The Northern lights have always been on my bucket list. Thanks for the great information and the points about the ferries being too pricey. I'm sure I'll be back to this forum asking many more questions!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
We drove the ALCAN highway last summer. Road was good providing you take your time. Get a copy of Milepost guide and it will help you plan ypur trip, where to stop, distance between towns, camping suggestions etc. we drove in a 40' HM with toad. good luck and happy travels.

Ferrys get expensive so we didn't take any and 40' HM don't fit very well but heard HMs less than 26' are better on ferrys. Our trip from CO covered lots of Canada and spent 5 weeks in AK for a total of 14 week trip.
In your travels have you driven the Going To The Sun Highway up into Canada? I grew up around Glacier and could drive the highway in my "sleep" but my husband is worried about driving the road with an RV up into Canada....are the roads good to Lake Louise, and further up? The more I think Bout it, the more excited I get!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
From Prince George to Watson Lake you have the choice of the Cassiar Highway take it going or on way home. I like to do it on the way up. Stewart B.C. and Hyder AK will get you warmed for the real thing. Also from Whitehorse to Tok you have 2 choices, the top of the world Highway is not bad for gravel. Dawson is really an interesting old town , wooden sidewalks. Chicken is a nice stop too. If you are towing car protect it well windshield included. Take all the time you can spare, you will enjoy. 3 times for us so far , never make a reservation no problems.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #9

Morning, The Wife And I R Planing on going to Ak Next year possibly, R U Living in Ak Now And What Town, How Cold?
Gene Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
From Prince George to Watson Lake you have the choice of the Cassiar Highway take it going or on way home. I like to do it on the way up. Stewart B.C. and Hyder AK will get you warmed for the real thing. Also from Whitehorse to Tok you have 2 choices, the top of the world Highway is not bad for gravel. Dawson is really an interesting old town , wooden sidewalks. Chicken is a nice stop too. If you are towing car protect it well windshield included. Take all the time you can spare, you will enjoy. 3 times for us so far , never make a reservation no problems.
We will be towing our Jeep Wrangler so thanks for the heads up about protecting it! My husband is putting all this information into his GPS. Together with the Milepost and the Good Sam Directory, we're starting to get a picture of the trip. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Went in a caravan with WIT in 2002 which was very nice as everything was arranged and prepaid. Expensive but the tour boat into the Valdez Bay is a must. Won't see the lights until weather is very cold which might mean being there a little later than August. Did take a side trip to the Arctic Circle which was an addition to my resume. Flew up, landed at a small village and then flew back to Fairbanks. Various companies do this but arrange it while you are there as going out of business is common. Fishing in Homer for Halibut.

It is a long way there so enjoy the trip not only the destination. When the Fireweed turns white it is time to head south.

Don, WIT 70041
Santa Clara, CA

If you are an Elk, there are numerous lodges and most are very active. Winters are long.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Fortune View Post
Morning, The Wife And I R Planing on going to Ak Next year possibly, R U Living in Ak Now And What Town, How Cold?
We live in northern California. We took a cruise through Alaska 15 years ago and always wanted to return in an RV. I had colleagues who lived in Anchorage and Fairbanks a few years ago and they talked about the dark, cold winters and the summers where it never really gets dark but I don't remember what they said about the temperatures.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Went in a caravan with WIT in 2002 which was very nice as everything was arranged and prepaid. Expensive but the tour boat into the Valdez Bay is a must. Won't see the lights until weather is very cold which might mean being there a little later than August. Did take a side trip to the Arctic Circle which was an addition to my resume. Flew up, landed at a small village and then flew back to Fairbanks. Various companies do this but arrange it while you are there as going out of business is common. Fishing in Homer for Halibut.

It is a long way there so enjoy the trip not only the destination. When the Fireweed turns white it is time to head south.

Don, WIT 70041
Santa Clara, CA

If you are an Elk, there are numerous lodges and most are very active. Winters are long.
We saw the itinerary posted on the WIT website. We thought we would try to plan our own trip this first time and see how it goes. Good advice about enjoying the journey! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #14

Here are a couple of great posts from the past:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/alask...1-a-97916.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/north...ska-88043.html

We did the trip this last year from May 1-Jult 3.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote