Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roads in and out of Nashville, TN

We are going to Nashville the end of this month. We live in northwest Georgia. We are familiar (although by automobile) with I-24 and the treacherous, steep hills we will encounter in our 2000 V-10 Rexhall. We are not excited about taking that route. Would we be better to go over to Alabama and pick-up I-65 and go that way? We have never been up to Nashville on that road so we are not familiar with grades, etc. Anyone have any information that would be helpful?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

No steep grades that I can remember on I-65 south of Nashville. You should be good to go that way.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

When we had a Trek MH with the V-10 Ford we disconected the toad, drover over the mountain and then re connected
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Easy drive up I-65. No worries at all.
griff4217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The I-24 drive over Monteagle is steep (4% to 6% grade), however I went over it in 2011 with a V-10 and had no issues at all. I was able to maintain a safe 50 MPH on the climb and I used the towing mode on the downhill to minimize brake heat. The transmission will downshift several times and the engine RPM's will hit 4,500 to 5,000 RPM's but the V-10 actually performs well at higher RPM's

If your motor and transmission are healthy you should have no problems.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn't know they had "mountains" east of New Mexico...?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #7

Obviously, you've never driven through West Virginia or parts of Tennessee to mention a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I didn't know they had "mountains" east of New Mexico...?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrex View Post
We are going to Nashville the end of this month. We live in northwest Georgia. We are familiar (although by automobile) with I-24 and the treacherous, steep hills we will encounter in our 2000 V-10 Rexhall. We are not excited about taking that route. Would we be better to go over to Alabama and pick-up I-65 and go that way? We have never been up to Nashville on that road so we are not familiar with grades, etc. Anyone have any information that would be helpful?
We drive from Florida to Nashville a lot, and have for many years. I avoid I24 because of Monteagle mountain (ok great big hill) even in the car. We did drive it once in the motorhome with no issues but not a very pleasant experience. Sometimes we go to I65, sometimes we drive the extra miles to Knoxville and take I 40. Either of those alternates are no problem for us.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

On our way back from SC last summer we travelled the I24 to Nashville to try a different route (usually take the Ashville to Knoxville route I40). I remember that hill very well. We have a grand cherokee as a toad and the V10 was working doing that hill. 45 mph and 4500 rpm for near half the way to the top but MH didn't heat up or have any difficulties. Maybe next summer will try I65.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Obviously, you've never driven through West Virginia or parts of Tennessee to mention a few.
Not to insult anyone, but those arn't "mountains"...they're "Hills". Many years ago, I was shocked the first time I drove through the Smokey Mountains...I was used to the mountains of the Sierra Range out West and I just had to laugh when they told me that these were the famous Smoky Mountains. It's kind of like some of the rivers out West that would be considered a stream or a creek if they were located in the Midwest, South or the East.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not to insult anyone, but those arn't "mountains"...they're "Hills". Many years ago, I was shocked the first time I drove through the Smokey Mountains...I was used to the mountains of the Sierra Range out West and I just had to laugh when they told me that these were the famous Smoky Mountains. It's kind of like some of the rivers out West that would be considered a stream or a creek if they were located in the Midwest, South or the East.
Well, they probably don't have sweet tea and grits where you're from either but along with our "mountains" we here in the South think it's all good.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
FYI:

"One of the more hazardous stretches of Interstate highway in the United States is located approximately 40 miles (64 km) west of Chattanooga on I-24 in Monteagle, where the highway crosses the Cumberland Plateau. Compared to grades elsewhere, Monteagle's 4–6% grade does not come close to the steepest (Interstate 40 between Nashville and Knoxville features 5% grades in each direction), but the slope is protracted over a distance of several miles. While all motorists need to exercise caution, truckers are particularly vexed by Monteagle, and many have died going through this area."

Interstate 24 in Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #13

You're mistaken. That is not a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
FYI:

"One of the more hazardous stretches of Interstate highway in the United States is located approximately 40 miles (64 km) west of Chattanooga on I-24 in Monteagle, where the highway crosses the Cumberland Plateau. Compared to grades elsewhere, Monteagle's 46% grade does not come close to the steepest (Interstate 40 between Nashville and Knoxville features 5% grades in each direction), but the slope is protracted over a distance of several miles. While all motorists need to exercise caution, truckers are particularly vexed by Monteagle, and many have died going through this area."

Interstate 24 in Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

« Az. trip | Az. trip »