Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Roads Most Traveled?

August trip from PA to Salt Lake City, then on to NP's Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands, Zion, and GC via I80 in 31' Winnie with Subaru toad. Need advice as to what roads after I80 are wide enough and easy to travel so as not to ravel DW?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most of the roads in the west are plenty wide. 18 Wheelers travel them every day. Your aviator shows a class C, you should have no trouble out here.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #3

If you look on a map of Utah and highlight every one of those parks, any road you choose will be o.k. with any size RV EXCEPT, I wouldn't recommend Hwy 14 from Cedar City to Hwy 89. A much better alternative would be Hwy 20 at Circleville to Hwy 89.

Also, depending on the size of your RV, Hwy 9 from Zion to Hwy 89 may have restrictions. Google "Zion Tunnel" for information.

Otherwise, every other road is good in Utah. I think we've been on them all during our 16 years of full-timing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:43 AM   #4

The tunnel in Zion was down to one lane and they had signs keeping anything but cars out of the area this spring. It was scheduled to be that way all summer. I would stay to the east of Zion to eliminate driving the RV around the park.

That said:
From SLC, take I-15 south and pick the park you want to visit first.
Hwy 6 through Springville to Green River is a common route from SLC to Moab. That will get you to Arches and Canyonlands.

Hwy 20 to Panguitch is a good route and it will keep you on the east side of Zion. It will also give you access to Bryce and an easy route to head to Kanab - Page then on to the GC.

Enjoy your trip.
MuseJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
The tunnel in Zion was down to one lane and they had signs keeping anything but cars out of the area this spring. It was scheduled to be that way all summer.
The national parks keep their websites up-to-date on 'Alerts' and road issues. There's nothing different for the Zion Tunnel. It's business as usual. (Perhaps there was a road repair in the spring)

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm

Note that each national park, national monument has a very good web site like the above link to Zion to explore with campground infor, things to do, road info, etc. Explore them.

A good route for Salt Lake City to do the parks and one if you don't want to deal with the tunnel, is:

Take I-15 south to Hwy 9 at St. George. Stay along Hwy 9 at Hurricane or closer to the park entrance at Springdale. Also, there are two campgrounds in Zion itself - one has electric and accepts reservations. The other doesn't have electric and it's first come. The free Zion shuttle makes stops in Springdale to take you into the park. When you leave Zion backtrack on Hwy 9 to Hwy 59 at Hurricane. Take UT59 which will become Hwy 389 in Arizona which takes you to Fredonia, AZ. Hwy 9, 59 and 389 are very nice drives with a RV - no big hills.

From Fredonia, AZ head north on 89 to Hwy 12 east just south of Panguitch, UT. Take Hwy 12 east to Bryce and further along to Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. Both have campgrounds with no electric and plenty of campgrounds outside the park. Hwy 12 is an absolutely gorgeous drive through Grand Staircase Escalante Nat'l Monument. It will have a steep hill to climb near Torrey but it's very doable with a RV and many do it.

From Torrey, UT take 24 east and north at Hanksville to I-70. Take I-70 east to Hwy 191 for Arches Nat'l Park and Canyonlands Nat'l Park at Moab. Dead Horse Point State Park at Canyonlands is a very nice place to stay with electric and a easy drive to Arches.

Have a great trip! They're favorite areas for us!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, travel