Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Roads to avoid when towing a trailer

I'm new to RVing. Just got a Winnebago Minnie 2451BHS and on the drive home from the dealer my GPS routed me through the Merritt Parkway. While on the parkway I noticed a low bridge which had a sign calling out 8'8" max height and I knew the TT is 10'4"

Luckily, there was an exit right before the bridge and I managed to get off the parkway and find my way through side roads to get on the freeway.

How do you plan your routes? How can I know what GPS suggestions to avoid?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #2

Good Sam/ Rand McNally has a gps that you put your RV size in the info and that is taken into account when it routes you

Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can set my height, weight, and length in mine. It even warns low ground clearance, I still like to take a peak at my trucker's atlas and verify the route is o.k. for trucks.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

A couple of options available.
Get a GPS designed for truck and RV. I use the Rand McNally RV GPS but there are others just as good.
Allstays Truck and RV app for IOS and Android will show low clearances.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

I got the Allstars app and it is really good. I could find the clearances for our route and overnight stops on I80. Are the RV spots at interstate rest stops safe? Should I look for campgrounds along the route?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WM2451BHS View Post
I'm new to RVing. Just got a Winnebago Minnie 2451BHS and on the drive home from the dealer my GPS routed me through the Merritt Parkway. While on the parkway I noticed a low bridge which had a sign calling out 8'8" max height and I knew the TT is 10'4"

Luckily, there was an exit right before the bridge and I managed to get off the parkway and find my way through side roads to get on the freeway.

How do you plan your routes? How can I know what GPS suggestions to avoid?
If you're talking the Merritt Parkway in CT, well, there's a reason your vehicle isn't allowed on that road. Did you not see the sign? In fact, no towed vehicles are allowed on that road. I'd hate to be caught with one as I've heard the fine is pretty stiff. I've seen tractor trailers get on that road as well (mainly accidentally), for them, it's over $1k fine to get their vehicle off the road.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwinginit View Post
Good Sam/ Rand McNally has a gps that you put your RV size in the info and that is taken into account when it routes you
THIS
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
If you're talking the Merritt Parkway in CT, well, there's a reason your vehicle isn't allowed on that road. Did you not see the sign? In fact, no towed vehicles are allowed on that road. I'd hate to be caught with one as I've heard the fine is pretty stiff. I've seen tractor trailers get on that road as well (mainly accidentally), for them, it's over $1k fine to get their vehicle off the road.
It was the Saw Mill Parkway in NY. Didn't see any signs except "No Commercial Vehicles". The one sign I didi see was the low clearance sign.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WM2451BHS View Post
It was the Saw Mill Parkway in NY. Didn't see any signs except "No Commercial Vehicles". The one sign I didi see was the low clearance sign.
Ah, I posted cuz you said Merritt. I've been on the Saw Mill, but never with my RV, that road is CRAZY Too many curves and really tight lanes. Glad you could get off prior to having a real issue at hand.

When I first got mine I drove it down to my Mom's house, going my standard way. Then I saw the sign - 10'8'" clearance and stopped dead in my tracks as I'm waaaay over that. Had to back up into a turnaround the town put right near the bridge for idiots like me
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Ah, I posted cuz you said Merritt. I've been on the Saw Mill, but never with my RV, that road is CRAZY Too many curves and really tight lanes. Glad you could get off prior to having a real issue at hand.

When I first got mine I drove it down to my Mom's house, going my standard way. Then I saw the sign - 10'8'" clearance and stopped dead in my tracks as I'm waaaay over that. Had to back up into a turnaround the town put right near the bridge for idiots like me
My mistake. I posted Meritt but meant to post Saw Mill. I am thankful that they put those exits right before the bridges.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

When traveling in NY, and CT, RV's are not allowed on any road that is designated as a parkway

2003 Monico Windsor 370HP
Full timing
Summerfield, FL.

Toad: Volvo
hshiner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have the garmin rv760 and it does that well

I have a terrible habit of not reading the signs now that it's 'proven' itself to me so many times!

Good deal YOU read it !

I am sequestered in NY for a while and had no idea how many bridges here were under 8' !!!!

Tags
tow, towing