Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Rocky Mountain National Park

We are currently in Fairplay CO and will be leaving soon to spend 1 week at Moraine Park Campground in Rocky Mountain National Park. Fairplay is right on US 285 and Route 9. What would be the best route to take driving a 40' motorhome towing a jeep?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #2

Ever been to RMNP? With a 40' and toad save yourself the heart attack and go to Utah instead. Narrow roads, scary switchbacks, and pothead drivers, not the safest way to go. I went up there a coupla times with a 25' class C and was scared to death each time. There is no recommended route.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc44a View Post
Ever been to RMNP? With a 40' and toad save yourself the heart attack and go to Utah instead. Narrow roads, scary switchbacks, and pothead drivers, not the safest way to go. I went up there a coupla times with a 25' class C and was scared to death each time. There is no recommended route.
Wow, scared a bit here in CO? I don't find it bad out here at all.

The route I would go with that size is.

Wider, less scenic - Take 285 North to 470 west. Take that to hwy 6, continue onto hwy 93, then onto hwy 36, 36 will take you to Estes and RMNP. This is a popular/busy route.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
RMNP

Thanks Funrover, that's the kind of input I was looking for. The only time I've ever been scared in Colorado is sometimes when I'm in my Jeep, but that's on purpose!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Thanks for good directions
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
KIX

Funrover..........what's the downside to going through Frisco and the I 70 to hwy 93??
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are several routes to get from Fairplay to RMNP. Stevemac asked for the best way to go. I agree that the 285 to 470 way is the best one. You can follow the foothills instead of going over the top. With the heat we have been having, there are lots of overheated vehicles on the side of the road up there.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Funrover..........what's the downside to going through Frisco and the I 70 to hwy 93??
It's a comfort level. HWY 9 from Fairplay to Frisco is a beautiful drive. The road is a nice 2 lane. The grade makes from slower travel for sure. However The top of Hoosier Pass is a great place to get out and take a break. Walk a trail etc. The downside is also a steeper grade w/ switchbacks. Completely do-able, it's a little narrow for some folks. However if you are going that route I would just stay on 9 to Kremmling. Catch 40 to Granby then 34 and go through RMNP. It really is a beautiful drive.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
KIX

Thanks JudyH and Funrover. We're actually going to Lyons so I'll have to make a decision on either 285 to 470 to 93 to 36 or through Frisco.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #10

Either way have fun. While in Lyons take time to hike/bike Hall Ranch. Just a quick FWIW!!

Tags
national