Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #1

Post Round trip must see sites

Happy Valentines Day I am looking for some must see sites and things to do.

My Bride and I will be taking a round trip trip starting from Mission, TX. to San Antonio following rte. 10 to Las Cruces to Tuscon and on to San Fran. Following 101 to Seattle leaving on rte 90 through Idaho. to Gillette, Wyoming for the Escaped June 30th. Leaving Gillette traveling to South Dakota still following 90 to Sioux Falls. We will then turn South on rte. 29 heading South to Omaha, Topeka, Wichita, Dallas and then on to Home back in Mission.

We will be stopping at the National Parks through Cal., Wy., Montana, and want to know what other things people have seen that would require our attention. I don't know if all this is possible in 7 months over 7000 miles but we are excited to start in April and returning to Mission, Tx. by Nov. Hoping to cover some blank spots on our US Map. Thanks in advance for all helpfull infol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Monterey Bay Aquarium
Hearst Castle...San Simeon
If you like museums, S.F. has some good ones.
Prairie Creek State Park up near the Oregon border. RV OK. One of the best parks we've seen.
Roaring Camp, Felton. Redwoods, Old Steam Railroads. You can take a train ride to Santa Cruz Boardwalk and return in one day. Nice experience.
There are several other Redwood parks to choose from.
Passing through S.F. with an RV is OK, but it would be tough to park one there. Staying outside and commuting in would be easier. If you don't have a toad, you can ride BART from many points around the Bay. Have a great trip!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

you don't want to miss Multinomah falls just East of Portland a few miles right on I-84 ... it is a spectacular falls and you have seen many photos of it ... did I say don't miss this ...

I suggest a slight detour from I-90 on the Washington / Idaho border and go through Lewiston ... there you can take a jet boat ride up the snake river ... it is a really a great ride ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tucson: AZ -Pima Air Museum and the "Boneyard", Titan Missile Museum.

If you are planning on taking I-10 through Phoenix I suggest taking I-8 to SR85 north to I-10 to bypass all the city traffic.

From I-10 at Quartzsite, AZ take AZ95 north through Lake Havasu to I-40, then west to Barstow SR58 to Bakersfield and north on I-5. This route will bypass all of the LA traffic.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm kind of in the same boat you are but leaving in late May to avoid some snow and rain still prevalent here in the southwest and northern California . This is my list of must sees/preferences in order originating in Phoenix and I added my campground spots after a lot of research of where to stay.Anything repeated is a multiple day stop , 40 days 3900 miles - My coach is 45' so can't stay in many California CG but found some nice ones/full service outside of the parks to enjoy

Have fun!!!

Monument Valley Gouldings RV Park
Monument Valley Gouldings RV Park
Lake Powell Wahweap Campground
Lake Powell Wahweap Campground

Zion National Park WATCHMAN CAMPGROUND
Bryce National Park Ruby's Bryce Canyon Campground - Ruby's Inn
Goblin Valley Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica
Arch's Day trip from Goblin - Arch's reserved only day possible Reserved Fiery
Salt Lake KOA
Salt Lake KOA
Grand Tetons Colter Bay Campground confirmation
Grand Tetons Colter Bay Campground confirmation
Yellowstone Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park and Cabins reservation
Twin Falls ID stop along the way, Wally park
Winnemuca stop along the way, Wally park
So Lake Tahoe http://www.cityofslt.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/935
So Lake Tahoe Campground by the Lake

Sacramento
Sonoma Wine Weekend Napa Spring Lake Campground
San Francisco CandlestickRVPark:ParkMap
San Francisco CandlestickRVPark:ParkMap
Yosemite Yosemite Ridge Resort
Yosemite Yosemite Ridge Resort
Sequoia Sequoia RV Ranch
Sequoia Sequoia RV Ranch
San Simeon Hearst Castle
Santa Barbara Elks Lodge
Malibu https://www.maliburv.com/index.asp

Lake Havasu Confirmed VIP lot
Phoenix
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

Do yourself a favor and go around SF via I-80 and 12, the Napa valley is beautiful with lots of wineries. The KOA at Petaluma is pricey but offers shuttles into the city if that is your thing.
The Oregon coast is a great trip and you will be humbled by the redwoods. Astoria to Olympia is not particularly scenic, suggest the Olympic peninsula loop. The Port Townsend ferry will save the aggravation that is Seattle.
Start a blog and post pictures. We like pictures.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Do yourself a favor and go around SF via I-80 and 12, the Napa valley is beautiful with lots of wineries. The KOA at Petaluma is pricey but offers shuttles into the city if that is your thing.
The Oregon coast is a great trip and you will be humbled by the redwoods. Astoria to Olympia is not particularly scenic, suggest the Olympic peninsula loop. The Port Townsend ferry will save the aggravation that is Seattle.
Start a blog and post pictures. We like pictures.
We were planning on staying at the Elks Lodge on Stonegate Dr. in South San Fran. What do you think of this idea? We will be driving a 37 ft. Bus with toad. Then continue on 101 up the coast.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Tucson: AZ -Pima Air Museum and the "Boneyard", Titan Missile Museum.

If you are planning on taking I-10 through Phoenix I suggest taking I-8 to SR85 north to I-10 to bypass all the city traffic.

From I-10 at Quartzsite, AZ take AZ95 north through Lake Havasu to I-40, then west to Barstow SR58 to Bakersfield and north on I-5. This route will bypass all of the LA traffic.
We are coming into Phoenix on I10 and picking up 17 to Prescott then onto I40 overnight in Needles to Barstow then 58 to Bakersfield and onto Sequoia NP via 65. Does this sound reasonable?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm14559 View Post
Happy Valentines Day I am looking for some must see sites and things to do.

My Bride and I will be taking a round trip trip starting from Mission, TX. to San Antonio following rte. 10 to Las Cruces to Tuscon and on to San Fran. Following 101 to Seattle leaving on rte 90 through Idaho. to Gillette, Wyoming for the Escaped June 30th. Leaving Gillette traveling to South Dakota still following 90 to Sioux Falls. We will then turn South on rte. 29 heading South to Omaha, Topeka, Wichita, Dallas and then on to Home back in Mission.

We will be stopping at the National Parks through Cal., Wy., Montana, and want to know what other things people have seen that would require our attention. I don't know if all this is possible in 7 months over 7000 miles but we are excited to start in April and returning to Mission, Tx. by Nov. Hoping to cover some blank spots on our US Map. Thanks in advance for all helpfull infol
When traveling along I10 in Texas if you can detour down to Big Bend NP you wont regret it.

In eastern Washington another detour off I90 is down to the Palouse area. Beautiful rolling green hills. Palouse falls were something to see.

Ray

Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm14559 View Post
We are coming into Phoenix on I10 and picking up 17 to Prescott then onto I40 overnight in Needles to Barstow then 58 to Bakersfield and onto Sequoia NP via 65. Does this sound reasonable?
From I17 to Prescott you will need to take SH69 then US89 to I40. As for staying in Needles... Take a side trip of about 15 miles and overnight in Lake Havasu.

I haven't been of 65 to Sequoia so can'r help there.

I lived near SF (Santa Rosa) and SF is a place I would not take my RV. Go around it and use your Toad for sightseeing. There is no "good" way around SF, they all have their issues. Unless you are traveling Sunday morning, all the Interstates will have heavy traffic. There is no elevated through road that will take you through SF, you always end up on city streets with traffic lights. SH12 from I5 to I80 then to Vallejo and SH37 over to US 101 is about the easiest and no bridge tolls.

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote