Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

Route 1 South out of Maine Advice

We would like to drive US1 from Shore Acres in BoothBay to catch I-495 to go around Boston to get to Normandy Farms in Foxboro in OCTOBER. Other than potential traffic issues, since this is a truck route, I'm guessing a 43-foot MH with a tow shouldn't run into navigation issues on US 1?

We figure we can hit the Kittery Outlet Mall and find parking in their lot.

What about parking the coach briefly in Portsmouth to walk around town & grab some lunch?

Thanks for your help!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post

We figure we can hit the Kittery Outlet Mall and find parking in their lot.
It's been a few years since we visited Kittery, but it isn't a single outlet mall. It's a fairly busy road with multiple strip center shopping areas on either side. Watch for signs for RV parking - I think the Kittery Trading Post has some spots. Satellite view on Google Maps shows a handful of them on the southwest-ish side of the store. I would definitely familiarize yourself with the area by checking that satellite view.

Wear comfortable shoes - lots of walking

As for trying to park the coach in Portsmouth, NH, hopefully someone else will chime in, but we have been through Portsmouth in a car and can't imagine trying to find RV parking there.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

McGarrett50-

Route 1 is a long, slow slog- tons of lights. You should be tired of traveling on it by the time you hit Bath. Get on 295 in Brunswick and then 95 as soon as you can. You can take the Kittery exit f you want to hit the Trading Post.

I haven't been to Kittery since 2009. Then, they had a great hotdog stand on one side of the Trading Post parking lot. A take-out seafood place is just north of the Post, within walking distance; although I've not eaten there, the line was long enough to indicate it's popular.

If you want to go to Portsmouth, you can follow Route 1 or get back on 95. The two towns are close enough that Route 1 congestion shouldn't be a problem. Check out the parking ahead of time, as I believe it's limited in "downtown" Portsmouth.

Then, by all means, get on 95 to take you to 495 to Foxboro. Route 1 is just as slow south of Portsmouth.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
McGarrett50-

Route 1 is a long, slow slog- tons of lights. You should be tired of traveling on it by the time you hit Bath. Get on 295 in Brunswick and then 95 as soon as you can. You can take the Kittery exit f you want to hit the Trading Post.

If you want to go to Portsmouth, you can follow Route 1 or get back on 95. The two towns are close enough that Route 1 congestion shouldn't be a problem. Check out the parking ahead of time, as I believe it's limited in "downtown" Portsmouth.

Then, by all means, get on 95 to take you to 495 to Foxboro. Route 1 is just as slow south of Portsmouth.
Agree w/ above re 295 vs Rt 1 all the way.

I f I were wanting to do Kittery and Portsmouth I would likely park in Kittery and take the toad around the outlets...Trading Post and on to Portsmouth.
Return & pick up / hook up MH and continue to Foxboro
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I like Rte 1 generally take it once twice a year to Acadia, however just a warning Camden and Rockport are a little tight and I'd take 90 to bypass Rockland. Totally agree with getting on 295 in Brunswick. You may want to check if Freeport has the outlets your looking for-not as spread out as Kittery. There is some RV parking behind the main drag and signage pointing to it. Ditto on using the toad around Kittery and Portsmouth
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Ditto the sentiments about US 1 in NH and Mass. I would avoid it in favor of I-95 because Rte 1 is slow, crowded, and nasty.

If you want to park the coach for a few hours in Portsmouth, there is a Walmart on the outskirts of town where we have done that. Portsmouth is well worth a stop. It is a lovely town to visit.

Or, stay a night or two at Hampton Beach State Park in NH where you can camp right by the beach with full hookups and watch the boats go by. It is in a cute beach town, and about a 40 minute drive to Portsmouth in your toad.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
I like Rte 1 generally take it once twice a year to Acadia, however just a warning Camden and Rockport are a little tight and I'd take 90 to bypass Rockland.
The OP is heading south (west) from Boothbay. Rockport and Camden are north (east), so not on his route.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
opps
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:20 AM   #9

Thanks all. Good advice!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice