Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #1

Hi All,
We're in Cusick, WA and are wondering about taking 20 to the coast. Any Bad mountain passes ???? Any real bad roads ????? Would you take this route ????? Thanks in advance DAVE
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

Hi All,
We're in Cusick, WA and are wondering about taking 20 to the coast. Any Bad mountain passes ???? Any real bad roads ????? Would you take this route ????? Thanks in advance DAVE
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
CD

Magic
What are you driving (towing)? If you have big MH or 5er or concerned about mountain driving you might want to reconcider. I wouldn't be concerned about taking our TT & Dully over it, but I grew up in mountain country. We have been over 20 and there are easier ways to get over the mountains such as Snoqualime. Maybe some one else can give some personal experience.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 AM   #4

CD,
Thanks, yes we're in a 37'W24gasser with a toad. We've been over most passes in lower colorado and such with no problems, I just didn't want to find 10% grades and close switchbacks. DAVE
Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We've taken our 40' Bus and now our 42' Bus, towing a Grnd Cherokee, on that route before with no problems. We'd leave the interstate at Spokane and head up to Grand Coulee, then pick up 20 at Omak. The toughest part is Washington Pass but it really was no big deal at all. We've had much worse in the Rockies. It is a nice scenic drive with lots of places to pull over. The North Cascades are fully of neat places to see, Ross Lake, Diablo Lake, Washington Pass, etc. Riverbend RV Park, between Winthrop and Twisp is a great park to begin your day's trip as you descend to Anacortes via 20 all the way. We generally spend a few days at Fidalgo Bay RV resort in Anacortes to see that area.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If you're going to do any amount of driving in the mountainous western states, I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Mountain Directory West. There are 6 section of SR-20 mentioned in this directory:

**West of Tiger, the grades are no more than 6% with 25 & 35 mph curves and several 10 and 15 mph switchbacks.

**Sherman Pass. No grades over 6% and no switchbacks, but some 35-40 mph curves.

**Wauconda Summit. No grades over 6% although most are in the 3-4% range.

**Loup Loup Pass. One 1/2-mile 8% grade, the rest no more than 6%, some 35-45 mph curves.

**Washington & Rainy Passes. Some 6-7% grades with many 20-35 mph curves.

We've driven SR-20 across Washington from both directions at one time or another, and it has presented us no problems. Just be sure you go down in the same gear that you went up...you want to use your transmission to slow you down as much as possible rather than your brakes.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
CD

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LindaH:
Just be sure you go down in the same gear that you went up...you want to use your transmission to slow you down as much as possible rather than your brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When my Dad was driving truck years ago, he maintained that you use a gear lower going down hill. With the power in todays engines I think it should still apply unless you have an exhaust brake etc.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #8

Thanks Guys,
We use a "grade brake", kinda like a "jakebrake", only on a gasser and reduce gears. I'll tell you the best thing that ever happen to "gas" motorhomes was the Allison Tranny. It is always making us believers wheather we're going up or down.
Linda, everytime I think I might use that book, I think, well, we've been there, done that, but we seem to keep finding new ways to get out here. Anyway, thanks again for all your helps DAVE
Old 09-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #9

Hi All,
Thanks again for your help in deciding whether to take 20 across Washington or take the boring 90 instead. We did Blueslide(north of Cusick) to Carlton today. Wow, what a great road, lots of greenery and scenery. Our only hitch was in the flat valley area just south of Omak where 20 & 97 come together. We were doing 60 or so, a BIG deer decided to cross the road and we hit the brakes and even threw out an anchor to try to stop before we hit it. It gave me a look like "It says this is a deer crossing area, can't you read????"¯ as it slowly wandered down into the opposite ditch. Like I said, great road, and I can't wait until Saturday when we head for Sedro-Wooley DAVE
Old 09-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am camped on 20 as we speak at the Alpine Rv Park in Marblemount, Wa. I took 20 in from the east and had no problems what so ever. And I have a 37 foot gas pulling a dolly with a toad. I have been back and forth across 20 over the past month site seeing and hiking and its a good road. And Sedro Wooley is a busy little town.
Hey Linda do you read your directory while driving? I bought the Truckers Atlas at wallmart and has 10 times the info as the directory including bridges and passes and so on. Found the mtn directory a waste of good money.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #11

Hi All,
Well, we finished our drive across 20 yesterday and all I can say is WOW !!!!! We took most of the day to travel the 170 or so miles from Carlton to Birch Bay, WA. We had lunch in one of the most spectacular views we have had in a long time. Thanks again for all the advice DAVE

P.S. Hi Lee,
That's a nice looking park your at. Hey, have you seen the Gas Prices in Sedro-Wooley????? We cramed as much as we couldget in our's yesterday at $3.579, Haven't seen those kind of prices in a looong time