Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Route 20 thru Midwest

We will be traveling west again this late summer and making a stop at HWH in Moscow, IA. From there we will head west to Rapid City. We've traveled I90 to the west three times and wonder about alternate routes.

How is route 20? Looks like we could pick up 20 just north of Des Moines and exit at route 385 north Rapid City.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #2

I suggest you go north on I-380 from Iowa City to near Cedar Falls ... then take US-20 west ...

This is a great four lane divided highway until about 30 miles east of Sioux City, IA (this part of the road is currently being rebuilt ... so there are some rough spots ... and non-chamber of commerce driving in this section)

Once you pass into Nebraska, US-20 is a good two lane highway ... you will be travelling through farming country and the Sandhills of Nebraska. The joy will be seeing where your beef is grown ... and occasionally you will see some ranch or farm machinery going down the highway ...

Go for it!

P.S. There is an amazing exhibit of prehistoric critters at Ashfall State Historical site. It is about 6 miles north of US 20 a few miles west of NE 14 ... there is plenty of RV parking ... DO NOT miss this

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

There are several really nice county (and city) parks in Iowa along US 20 ... we have stayed at three of them ... I found them on RVParkReviews.

Of special note is the city park in South Sioux City, NE ... nice big sites ... and right on the Missouri River ... pay close attention to the signs on your first visit ... we have stayed here multiple times

We travel from Wisconsin to points west of here ... we used to go to Iowa City and then take I-80 west ... a couple of years ago we discovered US-20 ... it is so much nicer to cross Iowa on US-20 instead of I-80!!!!

Old 05-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
There are several really nice county (and city) parks in Iowa along US 20 ... we have stayed at three of them ... I found them on RVParkReviews.

Of special note is the city park in South Sioux City, NE ... nice big sites ... and right on the Missouri River ... pay close attention to the signs on your first visit ... we have stayed here multiple times

We travel from Wisconsin to points west of here ... we used to go to Iowa City and then take I-80 west ... a couple of years ago we discovered US-20 ... it is so much nicer to cross Iowa on US-20 instead of I-80!!!!
Yes, but I have to stop at the Iowa 80 Truckstop. Just gotta do it .

On our last trip out that way, we got on I90 at
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post

Yes, but I have to stop at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop... just gotta do it.

On our last trip out that way, we got on I90 at Sioux Falls. We overnighted at the Cabelas's in Mitchell, SD. We will try US20. The scenery thru that general area is certainly nothing to brag about so maybe we will find something neat off the interstate.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

We are planning to use either 20 or 30 east through IA in June. We are headed out I90 to Mitchell and then south into IA on the way to the Amana Colonies. I saw some country parks off 30 going east. Then planning to head through IL and to Ohio using non interstates.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

Wolcott is EAST of Moscow and EAST of Iowa City ... you can still take the route I suggested