Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
You guys are awesome, thanks SO much for the advice and recommendations! We're really excited about the trip.

Benji343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by nwokhunter
If you are looking for a park to stay in in the OKC area I would recommend twin fountains it is very close to the above attractions in the area.
Twin Fountains looks like this from one of the spots in the front area. The road is much busier than you might suspect but road noise is not problem inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3579301049.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	30289Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2930290156.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	622.5 KB
ID:	30290

It's a nice place with clean showers and laundry and friendly staff etc. Close to highway and will visit again.

Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Some of these have already been mentioned but I'll give you my ranking on a scale of 1 to 10 from the perspective of a "local" to the AZ portion of Rt 66 (I-40).

- Petrified Forest (6). Very scenic.

- Meteor Crater (4). Interesting hole in the ground. Kinda expensive but if you're in to the geology thing it's pretty cool.

- Walnut Canyon National Monument (6). Indian cliff dwellings and a nice hike.

- If you're going to the Grand Canyon (10) take N Hwy 89 to the East entrance. Less crowded entry point and it is much more scenic way to come in to the Canyon. Just North of Flagstaff off of Hwy 89 you can take a short loop drive in to Wapatki National Monument (6) and Sunset Crater National Monument. Extensive indian ruins. Lava flows.

- Stop in to the Cameron Trading Post (5). Have a Navajo Taco for lunch. AMAZING indian jewlery (See the copper and turquoise jewlery for a more affordable yet very beautiful). Check out the dinosaur tracks in the sandstone slab at the front door.

- After coming in to the Grand Canyon (did I mention that this is a 10?) East entrance you'll want to stop in at the several overlooks that you'll come to. Don't miss Lipan Point (10). You'll probably want to stay at the Trailer Village Campground. There is a free shuttle/tour bus that will pick you up and drop you off right at the campground.

-When you leave GC you're going to head South on Hwy 64. Take the drive on Hwy 180 in to Flagstaff and stop at the Museum of Northern Arizona (8). Route 66 runs through the middle of Flagstaff. If you spend a day or so in Flagstaff you can take a day trip down Hwy 89A to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon (9). There is a pretty nice US Forest Service campground in the canyon. Depending on your rig it can be a challenge driving down the switchbacks.

- Just East of Williams on I-40 is The Deer Farm (The kids will call this an 8 or a 9). My daughter was pretty sure that this is where Bambi lives.

- You'll get back on Route 66 at Seligman. There is a roadside buger/ice cream stop called Delgadillos Sno Cap (5). Very much worth the stop for a snack and a show. If there is a tour bus parked in front just keep on rolling.

- The portion of Rt 66 from Seligman in to Kingman is really nice. The Grand Canyon Caverns are pretty cool (6).

- To stay on the Rt 66 plan you're going to take the road up in to Oatman (6). Funky. Cool. Full of wild burros. When you roll West out of Oatman you'll end up at Topock (I-40) and the Colorado River. Just across the California state line is Park Moabi (5). There is a large RV park and a really good restaurant that site right on the rivers edge.

Dave and Kristie ~ Pair o' Medics plus Helen and Oliver~ Pair o' Boston Terrorists in our 2007 Damon Outlaw - 3611 ~ Live your life, this ain't no rehersal! Blog: The View From 7000'
Dman1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
And be sure to stand on a corner in Winslow Arizona, you'll be such a fine sight to see!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want some good food stop here in Texola, OK. We always stop and get some ribs to go. Call ahead and they will have them ready when you get there.

Windmill Restaurant & Trading - Texola, Oklahoma - Yahoo! Travel
Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Route 66 souvenirs - there are many. Not sure how I feel about this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2864374083.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	30425

Lol - I think.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I'll add votes for "standing on the corner" in Winslow and Meteor Crater. The Meteor Crater RV park is about 18 miles west of Winslow. They honor most of the big discount club cards too.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote