Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
What great info -- thanks for sharing! I'm currently in Miami, OK after picking up Route 66 in Baxter Springs, KS. I'll follow it to Highway 1 cruising on to the Redwoods...and beyond! I'm new to full-time Rv'g and this is my "maiden voyage". The Mother Road seemed like the perfect place to begin. Thanks, again!

trennaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
Route 66 - Seligman, AZ

In traveling the old Route 66, it would be a shame if you missed a part of Route 66 history. Stop in Seligman at the Snow Cap Cafe, if only for an ice cream.

I first stopped at the SCC in 1977 and it had been around awhile by then. The owner, Mr. Delgadillo, not only served good food at reasonable prices but found quirky and fun ways to entertain and delight his customers. I undersatnd that Mr. Delgdillo has passed away, but his son still runs the SCC following in dad's footsteps.

Plenty of room to park your rig on the street and check out the old roadster with the Christmas tree in the back seat.

2007 Dutchmen Class C 31P
Towing 2011 Jeep Wrangler Mojave
With Roadmaster Falcon Tow Bar System and Braking
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
Buy the book, EZ66 A guide for travelers.
ISBN 0-9709951-4-8
9$us at Amazon

We ran out of time. Now we are retired, we are going to finish the Mother Road some day. We never had a day go by that we did not stop to see something.

F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #18
We have traveled Route 66 several times start to finish in our street rod. It never gets old. If you have the time to stop and visit with the various characters along the road it will be an experience that lasts forever.

2 books that will make it very easy to drive are required.

The first has already been mentioned. The EZ 66 Guide For Travelers by Jerry McClanahan. This book is an absolute must. It is a spiral wound travelers guide that is pretty unique. It is set up so that if you start in Chicago you start at the front of the book and flip pages to the back. If you start in Santa Monica, you start at the back of the book and work to the front. It has mileage, maps and points of interest on each page.

The second is Images Of 66 by David Wickline. It is full of pictures of everything to see along the road. If you use this in conjunction with EZ 66 it makes it pretty easy to drive the road as the EZ 66 books gives you the directions, and the Images of 66 book give you an idea of what you are looking for as you drive as some of the stuff "sneaks up on you". We were given this book on one of our group trips by Gary Turner the owner of the Gay Parita Sinclair Station in Missouri. Gary unfortunately passed away unexpectedly in January of 2015. But Gary's request to us was to have the individuals at the different stops we made sign their individual page in the book. We then had a drawing at the end of the trip and the book went to the winner of the drawing. It is a very nice keepsake to always remember those we met along the road.

Mentioned before was the Snowcap Drive Inn in Seligman. Juan Delgadillo passed away several years ago and the family continues to run the business. Next door to the Snowcap is his brother Angel who is considered the guardian angel of Route 66. His barbershop is open me Angel used to be there all the time, still stopping occasionally to give a haircut to the lucky few.

If Angel is in the barbershop stop and talk to him. He is a real nice person with the entire history of the Route and freely talks about the towns along the way slowly dying when interstate 40 opened.

A lot of the old timers are slowly dying off and part of our history going with them.

Enjoy your trip and hope you can spend a lot of time " getting Your Kicks, On Route 66"
32Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1458496750.208987.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	121856
Here is part of old Route 66 we got stuck on in 2011. I think it was in New Mexico. 20 miles of this😝

Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote