Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Route 66

have been looking at driving the full route starting at Chicago, has any one had experience driving with a 40 foot, was in Arizona last week and drove the oatman road and no way was the motorhome going there, any other parts of the road like this? TOM AND JOANNE 2016 THOR TUSCANY XTE 36MQ with Pontiac g5 toad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Made that mistake once with a 38' Dynasty towing a 18' car trailer. that was the quietest 2 hours ever, from east to west. Lucky we were the only one's on the road. When we got to the sign advising 'NOT RECCOMENDED OVER 31' KINGPIN LENGHT' with no where to turn around. We were committed!!!!!!! Did manage to kiss the right rear with the trailer on one of the 10 mph hairpins. Guard rails are for sissies.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

We do chunks of 66 as we happen on them, and love the magic of it with our TOAD.
We found campgrounds, planted the rig, did our 66 gig, and enjoyed what we have seen....so far. We found a bunch of other nifty stuff along the way.
Let the Journey be Your Destination!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombottcat View Post
have been looking at driving the full route starting at Chicago, has any one had experience driving with a 40 foot, was in Arizona last week and drove the oatman road and no way was the motorhome going there, any other parts of the road like this? TOM AND JOANNE 2016 THOR TUSCANY XTE 36MQ with Pontiac g5 toad
HA Ha we drove it too. Oatman to Kingman. I told Patty....we don't have a king pin. Plus the car is only 17 feet beyond the hitch point. We never kissed anything, but we did unhook after one blind turn. Patty then went ahead in the PT to block traffic so I could use ALL of the road. An Arizona DOT truck kept us in their site until the road straightened out. The curve near the mine was the worst. Lots of heavy scrape marks on the asphalt....we left none.

I don't think any other parts can be worse than this stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	120519  
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
IC2

Much of the 'romantic' parts of 66 parallel I-40 in the Southwest, why not consider stopping along the way and take side trips on 66. We did a bit of that last fall and I'm currently in the planning stage to do even more this year. Route 66 is a great adventure but not necessarily much fun with one of today's mega size RVs plus a towed/toad
Old 03-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My DW and I drove the "Historic" Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica Pier in the early fall of 2014. We were traveling in our 43 ft Mountain Aire with a Honda CR-V as a toad. The trip took us 8 weeks and we had a great time.

There are a few roads that are very narrow, some that are rough and some that you simply can't take your rig on - like the road to Oatman. There are also a few bridges that are are not rated for your weight so be careful to watch for that.

The Historical Route 66 is somewhat difficult to follow as several parts no longer exist and the route was realigned a number of times with some towns having two or three Route 66 roads as it changed over the years. We purchased a couple of maps and books that detailed the old road and followed those. When we got to towns with multiple alignments or bigger cities we parked the coach and travelled that area using our toad. As an example, we parked in Joliet and took our car into Chicago and the same for St. Louis, the LA area and others.

The rough sections of road are tough on the coach but all in all, it was worth it and we'd do it again. My best advise is, don't rush it - take your time and enjoy it.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The two primary routing sources we used were "Here It Is! The Route 66 Map Series" and "Route 66: EZ66 GUIDE For Travelers".

While looking up the names of these maps/books I also discovered some sad news. Gary Turner, the beloved owner of the Gay Parita Sinclair gas station on old Route 66 west of Halltown, Missouri, past away in January 2015, just three months after we visited his iconic station.

As the station was run by Gary and his son, I expect it will still be open. It is one of the best gas station restorations along the old Route 66 and a definite "must stop" location. Gary was a real character and he spent almost 2 hours telling my wife and I about the "old days" and we took several pictures of him and his station.

Be careful here though as just down the road, west of his station, you'll come across a small bridge with an 8 ton weight limit. Our coach is 16 tons with a 22 ton GVW. A little further west there is another great old station just past a low clearance bridge. We took it very slow over this one with our radio antenna pinging of the bridge beams above.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

Staying here in Laughlin NV we took a side trip down 66 thru Oatman at night! Waht a drive in the toad. Would NOT take the Discovery on that road!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
When we traveled parts of RT-66 we used the books ref. above and DVDs : RV Adventures by John Holod of route 66. This is an informative DVD of the entire road from Chicago to Santa Monica. It highlights attraction on the road as well as RV parks and eateries. Great resource.

RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
We did Route 66 in a CAR in the late 90's...a Honda and would NEVER attempt it even in our F-150, much less anything bigger. I just don't have the stomach for some of those hairpin turns.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

How about those outside turns w/o ANY gard rails! Man, you go off some of those roads you would get tired of screaming on the way down! Their is currently no center line on 66 thru Oatman. Pucker factor 10 on that mountain pass!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #12

Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
We did Route 66 in a CAR in the late 90's...a Honda and would NEVER attempt it even in our F-150, much less anything bigger. I just don't have the stomach for some of those hairpin turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
How about those outside turns w/o ANY gard rails! Man, you go off some of those roads you would get tired of screaming on the way down! Their is currently no center line on 66 thru Oatman. Pucker factor 10 on that mountain pass!

The hairpins on 66 are a fun adventure, and a piece of cake compared to many off road mountain trails. Once you get used to them, you slow down and enjoy the view!
They are historic routes, off road and on. Happy trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The hairpins on 66 are a fun adventure, and a piece of cake compared to many off road mountain trails. Once you get used to them, you slow down and enjoy the view!
They are historic routes, off road and on. Happy trails

You been hanging out with Dwayne too much.

I had trouble getting my Suzuki up through Oatman.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Many people talk about Oatman and the roads leading to it when talking about Route 66 but few seam to realize that the Oatman road of today has little in common with the original Route 66. Prior to 1952, Route 66 did go through Oatmen but it was a gravel road, not the paved road you ride on today. The pavement came later to encourage tourism. In 1952 the gravel Oatmen section was dropped as the Route 66 realigned to go through Yucca, south of Kingman.

most of Route 66 is doable in a big rig such as the 43 ft coach we did it on. Some sections are not available to big rigs however (40 ft restriction west of Oatman) and others are simply to congested (downtown Chicago) to make it fun. It is sections like that were it's best to unhitch the toad and continue temporarily in a smaller vehicle.