Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #15

Drove a small part of Rt. 66 last fall. Traveled east from Oklahoma City to Mo. The don't want to miss stop for this stretch is the Will Rogers Museum in Claremore, OK. RV parking provided and expect to spend at least 2 hours or more. One other must stop is POP's outside Arcadia. No RV Parking in lot but I parked on Rt. 66 as the shoulder is wide enough. Reason to stop at POP's is for the 600+ soda flavors. If possible stop at POP's during the week due to weekend crowds.

Visit TravelOK.com Homepage | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site to order free travel guides and map.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We are using RV Adventure videos of Route 66 to follow when traveling on 66. You can plan you trip form the DVD.

There web site is: RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #17

That museum is actually in Elk City, Oklahoma. It is a great place to visit. Campground easy on/off the highway. Note that US66 has been replaced with interstate highways, almost all the way from Chicago, to LA. I55 in Illinois to St. Louis. Then I 40 or 44 west.. Note that there are "frontage roads", that are still part of the "old Road"., as well as main streets in the towns that were bypassed. Brown "hwy 66 signs" designate the routes. So, a big RV rig is no different then a big semi. They travel those interstates every day. If you want to take those frontage roads, or drive thru the "downtowns", stop at visitor centers, and ask if it would be a problem. We did it a few years ago, in our 32 foot motor home, pulling our car, and it was a blast. Have fun....
Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
And while you are driving a good way to spot some of the original RT-66 is to look at the telephone poles along the road. Telephone/Electric right of ways change less often than roadways.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #19

Awesome

Awesome! I think I have us stopping in that area for the night.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
The main street of Tucumcari, NM is old 66 ... there are three original restaurants there ... our favorite for breakfast or lunch is "Kix on 66" ... there is parking in the rear for your RV
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #20

I actually swapped a few emails with John late last year when we began thinking and planning.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
We are using RV Adventure videos of Route 66 to follow when traveling on 66. You can plan you trip form the DVD.

There web site is: RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Your 28 footer should be fine if you dont mind a bit of bump and grind.

The stretch between Oatman and Kingman is grandious! Dont bump the donkeys.
Great place. Don't miss this one.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #22

We will have to "pop" in there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Drove a small part of Rt. 66 last fall. Traveled east from Oklahoma City to Mo. The don't want to miss stop for this stretch is the Will Rogers Museum in Claremore, OK. RV parking provided and expect to spend at least 2 hours or more. One other must stop is POP's outside Arcadia. No RV Parking in lot but I parked on Rt. 66 as the shoulder is wide enough. Reason to stop at POP's is for the 600+ soda flavors. If possible stop at POP's during the week due to weekend crowds.

Visit TravelOK.com Homepage | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site to order free travel guides and map.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofa View Post
I'd like to do this we have a 39' rig pulling a 16' trailer is it possible to drive it with this length?
Oatman to Kingman....NO. I am sure east to west would be the same. We did it in our 36' Alpine. Our wheelbase is 252" and it was a drive I would not repeat. The curve near the mine is tight and has a large amount of camber. A lot of DEEP scrape marks on the asphalt. We were towing the PT and at one point stopped and unhooked. Patty proceeded ahead and made sure there was no traffic lurking around the blind corners. Arizona DOT kept us in sight almost to Cool Springs. I am sure they were waiting to call the tow.

Between Oatman to Kingman is best done by car or bike....as in motor.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #24

We did the Kingman to Oatman in our 36' DP pulling toad. Then went back Oatman to Kingman. I never had a problem but this year when we went back again we went in the toad. To me Oatman is a must. Leave the RV at the campground unless you are coming from the west.

Russell.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #25

Personally I would not plan the "mother road" trip around the "Kingman/Oatman" segment. That is such a small segment of the thousands of miles between Chicago, and LA. If you feel uncomfortable driving your rig thru that small segment, then concentrate on all the other places along that once "majestic" highway. If you miss "Kingman/Oatman" section, you did not miss that much, in respect to the rest of the highway. When we drove it in our motor home, pulling the car, it was a very bumpy ride. I was not impressed.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #26

The Good Sam website's trip planner has an option for mapping the entire route 66 remaining.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I really like the Kingman to Oatman segment but I was in my Jeep. I was wishing for my 08 Charger Daytona on the twisties.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #28

Steve Dahl, the Chicago DJ did the trip from Chicago to LA on Rt 66 in an RV a number of years ago with his sons. They did a remote broadcast every day talking about the towns on the mother road. It was great to hear. I bet you can find it and get some great ideas. Steve now podcast at Dahl.com try sending him an email via his site.