Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I liked the new Route 66 themed rest area westbound I-44 in MO

THen there is the cadillac ranch (I-40 Amarillo Tx)

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out Joe and Aggies cafe in Holbrook, AZ. One of the places that was the inspiration for the movie Cars...

Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Many of the curves are blind and tight. We eventually unhooked the toad so Patty could drive ahead to tell me the road was clear. Then I could use both lanes. At one point, a left hand curve with steep banking we saw heavy scrape marks. When we stopped at the gas station, the gentleman told us a DP had to be towed off of that corner when it dragged the rear lifting the rear tires off the pavement and ruining the genset.

To think big rigs drove this road years ago!!
Thank you for the explanation.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
As a kid I would keep a look out for Twin Arrows" and "Two Guns", a pair of towns in NM?AZ? They had giant guns and arrows sticking out of the ground on each side of town.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Yep, I remember those. Do you remember the "air coolers" mounted on the car windows with ice in them to blow cold air into the car?
Remember those, how about the evap coolers that hung on the window?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Ted Drewes in St Louis on route 66. Frozen custard that you can turn upside down and your spoon won't fall out. Ted Drewes Frozen Custard - Home
Will be a stop! Spending the night is St Louie. Thanks for the foodie tip!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar276 View Post
Pops in Arcadia, Ok is a nice stop for a break or lunch along with the Round Barn. If you are into motorcycles, there is Seaba Station just down the road in Warwick. Neat little museum built in an old DX station. The Rock Cafe in Stroud, Oklahoma is a good place to eat and its owner was one of the characters featured in the Cars movie. Lots of things to see and do all along the Oklahoma section of Route 66. We ride it often on our trike. TravelOK.com Homepage | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site has alot of information on their website including a magazine usually available at travel centers but can be obtained free by request on the website. Good luck and enjoy what i think is the pace of yesteryear, a good thing.
Sounds great! Had a bike shop in northern NM back in the '70's. Worked on about everything ever made back then (ever hear of an AJS, Bultaco, and probable heard of Hodaka?). Museum will be a must stop. Many thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Adrian TX, the exact mid-point of RT66.
Looks like that will be a lunch stop, love the stats!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohapi View Post
We lived in Tucumcari NM (very small town) which is part of Route 66 for 6 months and loved the Neon Lights at night. (DH was there for work, then we left to go back home.) The town is really friendly and there are a few good places to eat. Kix on Route 66 is great for breakfast or lunch!!! They have great food and cook as you order. The POW WOW has great lunch buffets on Monday's (I think) it Mexican food and really good too.
Planning on spending a night in Tucumcari, will check out Kix/POW WOW - Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I liked the new Route 66 themed rest area westbound I-44 in MO

THen there is the cadillac ranch (I-40 Amarillo Tx)
Love the pics, will have some stops to look forward to!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
Check out Joe and Aggies cafe in Holbrook, AZ. One of the places that was the inspiration for the movie Cars...
Loved Cars, now have another stop. May never make it to Indy!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #26

Route 66 Must See Sites?

Ya gotta stop at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook. Spend a night for old time's sake. Or, at least take a photo or two. A friend and I drove Rt 66 end to end in the summer of '60. We had a 2-dr '55 Chevy V8 BelAir, stick. Coral and gray. We were a sucker for one of those canvas bags My wife and I stayed there in the summer of '07. No '55 Chevy. Thank goodness they have added a/c to the wigwams. That's about all they did, too. Enjoy the drive.
gdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Enchanted Trails RV Resort on 66 just west of Albuquerque is a slice of history.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #28

Here's the web page for those water bags. Canvas Specialty Tents, Fabric Structures, Canopies and Awnings
I did Rt66 twice and loved it.