Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
Route advice from Houston to Savannah GA

I'm planning a trip next month from Houston to Savannah Ga and over to Charleston Sc. Looking for the most scenic route to get there. Should I go I-10 West to Jacksonville Fl and them north up the coast or find a north western route thru Atlanta and then over to Savannah?

2002 Newmar Kountry Star 3669
Freightliner 300HP Cummins
Towing 2005 Jeep Liberty & 2010 Tundra W/Remco DD
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
American Coach Owners Club
If you want scenic forget I-10 and then I-95. I have spent years traveling on business in that corridor and other than some of the coastal marsh lands as you get to above Jacksonville there is nothing to see. We were actually in that same area last week. My brother and his wife joined us on that trip driving over from central La., they did the I-10/I-95 route on the way there and his first comment was that there had to be a better way so incredibly boring. I suggested he look at from Savannah take I-16 over to Bonaire then across to Columbus, Ga. up to i-85 to Montgomery then over to I-65 down to I-10 at Mobile. You could even at Montgomery take Hwy 80 over towards Selma and then hit I-20 over towards Jackson, Ms. There are actually a number of more scenic routes than those interstates but there is absolutely no need to go through Atlanta, or anywhere close, to get over to the Ga./SC coast.

I hope you have plenty of time to see the area, we stayed 6 days and barely scratched the surface. We enjoyed St. Simons island, the lighthouse area and Fr. Frederica, in Savannah the tour trolleys that you can get off and on are worth the money. Charleston, the Ft. Sumpter tour was again worth the money. So much history to see and much of it so well preserved. My wife and SIL are already planning another visit.

1998 American Eagle
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
Great suggestions. I was afraid the I-10 to 95 route was boring and was the reason I was asking.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 3669
Freightliner 300HP Cummins
Towing 2005 Jeep Liberty & 2010 Tundra W/Remco DD
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote