RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Route advice: I-40 thru Oklahoma?

We're headed to the west coast this weekend.

We'd like to take the 40 most of the way....BUT, I have avoided Oklahoma for many years because the road surface has been so bad in past travels.

Anyone have any recent experience on Interstate 40 thru Oklahoma? Is it smooth, or still very rough/bumpy?

Thanks in advance for any recent reports.

KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

I travel through OK at least once per year from Tulsa on West. Really don't think their roads are any worse overall that any other state. Like any road system, you may have some areas of construction or whatnot but nothing out of the ordinary. If you are worried about crappy road conditions then don't come to California. Their roads in the populated areas can be terrible.

Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #3

Where are you starting and heading? There are plenty of good secondary highways rather than an interstate. You see more that way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #4

It's in better shape than I-40 through Arkansas, not that that says a whole lot. To be fair, Oklahoma has been working on their Interstates but 40 hasn't gotten the end-to-end love it needs.

If you end up taking any part of I-35, the Oklahoma miles have mostly been resurfaced over the last 10 years and it's in pretty good shape.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Where are you starting and heading? There are plenty of good secondary highways rather than an interstate. You see more that way.
Sorry, we'll be leaving out of Memphis, TN.

We're on a bit of a beeline to San Diego, where we'll be visiting family for a couple of days.

Normally on our straight thru shot to SoCal, we take the 30 to the 20 to the 10.

This time we'd like to see a few places on Old 66 in Texas, then cut down thru Roswell and White Sands to the 10, and on into San Diego...but this would take us across 40 in Oklahoma.

I wanted to know if my past experiences with the horrible road surface conditions in Oklahoma were going to be repeated, or if they finally have a decent surface.

After San Diego, we're headed down to Baja California for a couple of weeks, where we'll be doing some riding around, enjoying the coastline.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
How many years is many? The dust bowl era is over and many improvements have been made to Rt. 66 / I-40. Not biased as I'm not a native Oklahoman but I think I 40 is in fine shape.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #7

About three weeks ago, I rode a motorcycle on I-40 from Little Rock, Arkansas, to Kingman, Arizona, before heading north. I think I would have noticed rough roads on that thing and don't recall any problems in Oklahoma at all.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
How many years is many? The dust bowl era is over and many improvements have been made to Rt. 66 / I-40. Not biased as I'm not a native Oklahoman but I think I 40 is in fine shape.
In the early 2000's I was in Oklahoma a lot, not matter what road I was on, they were all pretty much terrible.

3 years ago I thought, they must have it figured out by now, so I cut across OK on my way southeast. Took 17 to 412 to 51/351 from Kansas into Arkansas.

It was horrible. On that trip I spoke to a local at a motel and he laughed, said, yep, Oklahoma has the most toll's and the worst roads in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
About three weeks ago, I rode a motorcycle on I-40 from Little Rock, Arkansas, to Kingman, Arizona, before heading north. I think I would have noticed rough roads on that thing and don't recall any problems in Oklahoma at all.

Thanks guys, sounds like the 40 is ok. We'll give it a go.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
But I will say Shawnee to Tinker Air Force Base is under construction and seems in no hurry to finish. That's the worst I know of.

engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, route