Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
S&T map

I think this is the advised route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route to Mystic.GIF
Views:	69
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	134373  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I think this is the advised route.
Personally I'd get on I-287 N till I could cross the Newburgh bridge. It's just that one toll and it's cheaper than anything further south. It adds a little time/mileage but the reduced cost/traffic might make up for it.

What you show is pretty good too, just more congestion I think.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:35 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Personally I'd get on I-287 N till I could cross the Newburgh bridge. It's just that one toll and it's cheaper than anything further south. It adds a little time/mileage but the reduced cost/traffic might make up for it.

What you show is pretty good too, just more congestion I think.
Thanks for this suggestion, Carl. Is this what you are thinking? That adds about a half hr to my trip in map time but in real time could save me an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route 2.GIF
Views:	75
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	134419  
Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
We will be heading from the Philadelphia area to Mystic, CT for a few nights...then on to Acadia in ME.

Any travel/route advice? Any roads to avoid? I generally just use the Waze app, but we've been relatively close to home so far this year. This is our first "big" trip, and will cover the most distance by far. I'd prefer not to sit in traffic, even if it adds some mileage. Extra scenery is welcomed.

Thanks in advance!!
THis route works: PA TNPK to PA 81 North. 81 North to NJ 287 West. Pick up NY 84 ( TNPK) and exit at the route 84 East exit. Stay on 84 East until you reach your desired exit for Mystic.

NOT scenic but a lot less traffic than the stupid and dangerous I95 route. Yeah, I know, adds extra miles but well worth it. We make the run from VA to NH every fall and would NOT under any circumstance take I95 EVERY AGAIN!!

cheers

chuck
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Thanks for this suggestion, Carl. Is this what you are thinking? That adds about a half hr to my trip in map time but in real time could save me an hour.
Yes! I'm sure you'll enjoy that route a lot better than the more congested one. Good luck and travel safe!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayserc View Post
THis route works: PA TNPK to PA 81 North. 81 North to NJ 287 West. Pick up NY 84 ( TNPK) and exit at the route 84 East exit. Stay on 84 East until you reach your desired exit for Mystic.

NOT scenic but a lot less traffic than the stupid and dangerous I95 route. Yeah, I know, adds extra miles but well worth it. We make the run from VA to NH every fall and would NOT under any circumstance take I95 EVERY AGAIN!!

cheers

chuck
to clarify the above directions...take I-84 to I-78 to I-287 north to I-87 north to the Newburgh Bridge...then stay on I-84 past Waterbury,Ct and take I-691 to I-91 north then Ct rt 9 south to I-95 north to Mystic.....good ride...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
to clarify the above directions...take I-84 to I-78 to I-287 north to I-87 north to the Newburgh Bridge...then stay on I-84 past Waterbury,Ct and take I-691 to I-91 north then Ct rt 9 south to I-95 north to Mystic.....good ride...Chuck
X2 on this route... I drive all over CT and eastern NY daily and avoid I-95 south (actually west) of CT rt 9 at all costs...shorter distance does not equal shorter time in this part of the world. Happy trails!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #36

So, we made it. I elected to take 202 to 287, across the Tappan Zee (was nearly killed by a tractor trailer which pulled into our lane unexpectedly to avoid some asshat who was driving 35 mph), and up 95. 95 was pretty slow. The whole trip took me much longer than expected, but we made it in one piece.

Tomorrow we head up to Acadia. Route tbd.

Thanks for the advice!
Jagtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
So, we made it. I elected to take 202 to 287, across the Tappan Zee (was nearly killed by a tractor trailer which pulled into our lane unexpectedly to avoid some asshat who was driving 35 mph), and up 95. 95 was pretty slow. The whole trip took me much longer than expected, but we made it in one piece.

Tomorrow we head up to Acadia. Route tbd.

Thanks for the advice!
Did you go through White Planes or Eastchester to get to 95?

Tags
advice