Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We plan to go straight through on I-75 on Sunday mornings at about 10 am. Second choice is Sat mornings. Third choice is the remaining days same time. I've had more trouble on 285 than 75 but of course neither is a picnic.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
We just went to Gatlinburg last weekend and there was construction on north side and construction on south side. Atlanta really sucks!! A no win situation there.

markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Just came home Monday on I-20 west to east. Wasn't too bad, hit right at 11am or so and went right through steady 55 to 60. Most everybody waved as they passed but what the heck, I don't live there! The North South route is probably worse but just time it like stated above, 10am to 2pm and it shouldn't be too bad unless there's an accident. Then all bets are off!
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Just came home Monday on I-20 west to east. Wasn't too bad, hit right at 11am or so and went right through steady 55 to 60. Most everybody waved as they passed but what the heck, I don't live there! The North South route is probably worse but just time it like stated above, 10am to 2pm and it shouldn't be too bad unless there's an accident. Then all bets are off!
How about that smooth patch of road between Fulton Industrial BLVD and I 285 on the west side?
It'll shake your lug nuts off!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #19

I live in Warner Robins, GA just 1.5 hours south of Hotlanta. I would use one of two scenarios, if I were you.

1. Drive north to High Falls Campground and spend Saturday night there. Leave at 0700 hours driving I-75 right through town.

2. Take Hwy 441 from Macon towards Athens, GA and connect via I-40. Scenic drive and the traffic is not too bad. Little white knuckled on I-40 at times, but doable.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I live in Florida and hate Atlanta traffic. I usually go the way that podschweit suggested when going to nashville or columbia tn. Its about 3.5 hours from jacksonville out I10.
I like to stop at the motocross museum in alabama and usually find the semi trucks are a lot less on I65 than I75. Its four lane interstate out of Dothan all the way up to Nashville.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
If you are driving on I75, it and the I285 North & NW arcs are the most congested heading out of town from about 3pm to 7pm. Even though there are no difficult turns staying on I75 through downtown, I would recommend taking the west side of I 285 (from I75 to I285 back to I75).

Pack plenty of patience and stay alert for crazy mean drivers.
I second the suggestion of taking the west side of the loop, usually much lighter traffic.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #22

The absolute best time to go through Atlanta is Sunday before Noon= Been through there more times there more time's than I can remember.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #23

We go through on a Sat.or Sunday
Old 04-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I75 straight through from 10AM to 2 PM in the MH pulling a Toad. Faster then taking the I285 bypass that is full of trucks.

Run 60-62 MPH everyone is flying passing me(70-80 MPH) in the 55 MPH(Joke) speed limit.
But I have a clear road ahead.
That has worked for me the last 17 years 2 times a year.

I always stay in a Campground N & S of Atlanta that get me through at the above times when leaving around 7AM.
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I live in Warner Robins, GA just 1.5 hours south of Hotlanta. I would use one of two scenarios, if I were you.

1. Drive north to High Falls Campground and spend Saturday night there. Leave at 0700 hours driving I-75 right through town.

2. Take Hwy 441 from Macon towards Athens, GA and connect via I-40. Scenic drive and the traffic is not too bad. Little white knuckled on I-40 at times, but doable.
Second on the first suggestion. Been there done that, worked real well. High falls was a nice place to spend a night and stretch the legs walking around.

I have also tried to bypass atl using some back roads around the outskirts of town...........never again. Took me twice as long as it should and i swear the lights in all those little areas are timed to force you to come to a stop and maybe get so annoyed at the stop and go that you just give up and stick around a while and spend money in the little town.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #26

Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene680 View Post
We're leaving our home in June in Florida traveling to Michigan. Any suggestions on a route to Bypass Atlanta ?
Wow great response ! Thanks for the tips. Now we sort them out and start planning our trip. The forum is fantastic.