Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Route from Central Florida to near Gatlinburg, TN

Looking for the least stressful route from Central Florida (Ocala) to Jellystone RV Park near Gatlinburg. Driving a 30' class C, 2002 Ford V10. Google Maps has three options:

1. I75N to Atlanta, then 285 to 23 /74 to I40 across the mountains.

2. 301N to I95 to I26 to 74 to I40 across the mountains

3. I75N through Atlanta, Chattanooga, then I40 through Knoxville

Leaning towards#2 and not having to go through Atlanta.

Planning on leaving 4PM Wednesday afternoon, driving 3/4 of the way and boondocking, leaving a 3-4 hour trip Thursday morning.

If I take either route through Atlanta, traffic may not be bad late evening (10-11PM)

How is I40 through the mountains?

Any help, suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks

2002 Class C Shasta Cheyenne 304
c_ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have driven both 2 and 3. I prefer 3 because of the truckers coming down the mountain on I-40. They cannot use the left lane and they have a tendency to "push" a little more than I am comfortable with. Going through Knoxville is not bad if you are not going through during rush hour. However, there has been a lot of construction the past several years. Drove right through town with ease last October. Great place to be this time of year.

RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi c_ref,
Route #3 is my choice. I winter near West Palm and Summer in Sevierville. With friends in Atlanta. Route #3 will be the least stress on the coach and you. Getting through Atlanta during off peak hours is a good idea. It is what I do. If you are going to try a weekend off peak time, determine if the Falcons, Bulldogs or GA Tech are have a home game. There is a bunch of traffic for these events.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ref View Post
Looking for the least stressful route from Central Florida (Ocala) to Jellystone RV Park near Gatlinburg. Driving a 30' class C, 2002 Ford V10. Google Maps has three options:

1. I75N to Atlanta, then 285 to 23 /74 to I40 across the mountains.

2. 301N to I95 to I26 to 74 to I40 across the mountains

3. I75N through Atlanta, Chattanooga, then I40 through Knoxville

Leaning towards#2 and not having to go through Atlanta.

Planning on leaving 4PM Wednesday afternoon, driving 3/4 of the way and boondocking, leaving a 3-4 hour trip Thursday morning.

If I take either route through Atlanta, traffic may not be bad late evening (10-11PM)

How is I40 through the mountains?

Any help, suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks

I drive route #2 fairly regularly. The portion you are referring to as US74 is in reality still I26 all the way to the junction with I40 in Asheville. I40 through the Pigeon River Gorge area is quite scenic. Some moderate up & down and fairly curvy for an interstate but no issues. There is a long up grade close to the NC/SC line on I26. It's a few miles of 6-7% grade known as the Saluda Grade. Most is 3 lane so pick your lane and enjoy. Be careful as you go fairly directly into a down grade to the Green River and then back up.

To get to Jellystone, take exit 440 at Wilton Springs Rd & follow TN73/US321 through Cosby to Jellystone on the left.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

I took option option 3. All went well and got a great creek side camp spot at Jellystone RV Park outside of Gatlinburg. We boondocked at a Walmart P-lot in Cartersville, Ga. Only 2 miles of i75. There were a half a dozen truckers there, plenty of room. That left us with a short drive the next day.

Thanks for the replies/help! May try another route on the way back, not sure yet, Depends on what time we decide to leave.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #6

Took option 2 on return trip home today. Left at 4 AM, i40 and i26 was a breeze, no problems at all. Will definitely take this route next time up and will hit in the daylight hours to enjoy the scenery.

Tags
florida