Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Route from Crossville, TN over to Bryson City NC

Am going to be traveling from the Crossville, TN area to Bryson City area in a few days. Actuallly will be north of Crossville, planning to come down Hwy. 127 and pick up I-40 East towards Knoxville and so forth.

I have heard that there is a way you DO NOT want to go in an RV and am trying to remember where I actually placed my directions that I was given by a family member. He routed me around the problem road with switchbacks and I was just wanting some input from those of you who know the area.

Thanks to all that might reply.
GA Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #2

Depends on what RV you have. We just pulled a 26 ft. travel trailer all over the TN and NC mountains with a Ford F150 with no problems, but slow going. Going across the mountains the roads can get steep and curvy.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #3

I recomend I 40 East, through the gap into N.C.. Then hit rt 74/19 down to Bryson City.

I don't recomend taking RV's over the smokies. Covered that road dozens of times on a bike, can't tell you how many rv's I saw with problems. Just not worth the wear and tear not to mention the expense when it all goes bad.

L.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Peach View Post
Am going to be traveling from the Crossville, TN area to Bryson City area in a few days. Actuallly will be north of Crossville, planning to come down Hwy. 127 and pick up I-40 East towards Knoxville and so forth.

I have heard that there is a way you DO NOT want to go in an RV and am trying to remember where I actually placed my directions that I was given by a family member. He routed me around the problem road with switchbacks and I was just wanting some input from those of you who know the area.

Thanks to all that might reply.

I'm sure he routed you away from hwy 129 from Maryville. That route is the famous "tail of the dragon". If it were me, I would stay on I40 east to Maggie Valley and then down 441 to Bryson City.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm sure he routed you away from hwy 129 from Maryville. That route is the famous "tail of the dragon". If it were me, I would stay on I40 east to Maggie Valley and then down 441 to Bryson City.

I see you're from Savannah. We love your part of the country. We plan to spend part of November at Hilton Head.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Safest, least stressful is to take 40 toward Asheville but pick up 74 west bound when 40 turns toward Asheville at about Maggie Valley area. 74 is what we call the "four lane" and it is a nice drive. You can take 441 over the smoky's. Ive talked to bus drivers and RV guys that do it but I haven't done it yet in my 43ft. It makes for a nice stop in Pigeon Forge and then a drive over the mountains. We live in Cherokee, just the other side of the mountains from Pigeon Forge. Bryson city is just down the road on 74 (or 19-but don't take it from Maggie Valley to Cherokee- very curvy/steep)-take74. hope this helps. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #7

Thank you all for your suggestions. I won't be hauling a car and I only carry about 10 gallons of water onboard so I shouldn't have a problem. We travel very lightly. I feel bad when I've seen those poor trucks hauling big 5th wheels and they have to pull over and cool off.

My RV is older but a small one, 24-feet, so I think it'll be fine.

Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #8

Okay, sounds like you are a go to cross the Smokies. Give this some thought. Cutting out a few gallons of water does not make a RV "Lite". When you look at the total weight of a RV, water isn't much. If you cut short 50 gallons, that 400lbs on a over 10,000 lb RV. (guessing at RV weight) So if the RV is 10,000 lbs (I think I may be low) that is 4% of the weight.

Older RV probably equals carberator. 4% weight hardley compensates for the serious challenge of a older RV dealing with altitude and continuos grade and twisting hills, up grade or down grade. It very well may clear the mountains without issue. However, later when a problem does occur, you have to wonder if the wear and tear of those mountain passes contributed to the failure.

Good luck with your trip. Enjoy Bryson it is a great area. If you have time ride the RR, and visit Nantahalia to see the crazies that run that icy cold water. Oh and checkout the Fontana Dam, impressive.

L.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #9

It's a 1996 Minnie Winnie and I know very little about such things. I was wondering if it has fuel injection or a carburetor, without having the manual handy.

By the way, thanks for all of your input.