Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Route from FLA to Yellowstone

We have reservations at Madison Campground, West Yellowstone from Sept 15th thru the 20th. We are hoping to leave a bit earlier and find a RV spot at Mammoth Hot Springs for a couple of days. I understand that is 1st come 1st serve, so we'll play it by ear. My husband does all the driving. What is the best route for a 40Ft RV towing? I've heard the South Entrance and go through the park, North entrance and West entrance. I am so confused. He is a good driver, but I know its stressful when you have miles of steep grades, narrow roads and hairpin turns. Seeking the wisdom of the group! Thank you!
toppogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You missed the East entrance coming out of Cody and the NE entrance out of Cooke City, MT! I've driven all of them and prefer the East entrance only because the approach is the easiest in my opinion.

From FL you just follow the interstates (use Google Maps on your Smartphone!) to Casper WY. From Casper take 26 West to Shoshoi. Make a right to take 20 North to Thermopolis. This is a great stop to take a dip in the hot springs!

From Thermopolis take Rt. 120 that will lead you into Cody, WY. From Cody take Rt. 14 which is a direct shot into Yellowstone via the East entrance.

Once in Ystone, your easiest route to Mammoth is to make a right at Fishing Bridge, a left at Canyon, a right at Norris and that road will lead you into Mammoth.

Watch your speed as my son is a Law Enforcement ranger in Yellowstone!

Let me know if you have more questions.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. But I am more confused because we heard from a few people, that we should avoid the East entrance. We are trying to avoid a lot of steep grades, and hairpins. How bad is the driving with a 40ft and towing?

Laura and Chris
2010 Phateon 40ft
toppogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #4

Driving in the mountains isn't difficult with a 40' MH and towing. We did it all the time - both of us taking turns so the other can enjoy it.

All entries into Yellowstone are good except you probably wouldn't enjoy the NE entrance. This is different from the east entrance via Cody.

Where are you coming from before getting to Yellowstone. That would make a difference. I assume you'll be visiting other areas in addition to Yellowstone. Don't miss Grand Teton Nat'l Park attached to Yellowstone. They are completely different in looks and things to do. We love Gros Ventre campground there.... 300 non-reservable scenic sites and we've always gotten a site in various seasons.

Here is a good description of the roads into Yellowstone. Mammoth is a favorite of ours. You'll need to park nearby the previous night and drive to the campground early morning. We've also stayed at Madison and Bridge Bay.

Have a great trip and enjoy those mountains! Relax!! By the time you get to Yellowstone you'll be a pro.

I'd suggest getting the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers'. It's very helpful for a heads up. Even if the road is listed that doesn't mean you can't drive it. That's where the western beauty is!

Road to Yellowstone
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toppogger View Post
Thank you for the info. But I am more confused because we heard from a few people, that we should avoid the East entrance. We are trying to avoid a lot of steep grades, and hairpins. How bad is the driving with a 40ft and towing?
I taken my 40' Winn Tour towing my Jeep a few times through the East entrance with no problems. You go over Sylvan Pass but the grades and turns are typical of anywhere in the Rockies. There's only one pretty lazy hairpin between Sylvan pass and Yellowstone Lake. Not sure if the people giving you advice on routes have tried all the routes into Ystone.

If your husband feels comfortable on the FL Turnpike, the road into Ystone is a piece of cake!

Coming from FL your only choices are the South or East entrances. Going to any other entrance will entail the kind of mountain driving you're looking to avoid.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppogger View Post
We have reservations at Madison Campground, West Yellowstone from Sept 15th thru the 20th.

We are hoping to leave a bit earlier and find a RV spot at Mammoth Hot Springs for a couple of days.

I understand that is 1st come 1st serve, so we'll play it by ear.

My husband does all the driving. What is the best route for a 40Ft RV towing?

I've heard the South Entrance and go through the park, North entrance and West entrance.

I am so confused.

He is a good driver, but I know it's stressful when you have miles of steep grades, narrow roads and hairpin turns.

Seeking the wisdom of the group! Thank you!
There are many ways to get to Yellowstone, some more fun than others, so the decision is up to you. Here is a Map of a route that I would suggest - MAP - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=034c1...=2&form=S00027 - while it does use a few interstate Routes it is generally on the State roads and I have avoided many big city headaches.

First I hope you are leaving way before the 15th - this trip is 2,700 miles one way - - so depending on your driving habits you will need a while to get to your destination. I usually try to make the trip as good as the Destination so there are Numerous possible stops along the way. First major consideration is Texarkana - this will avoid Dallas - then on to Amarilla before heading into Colorado - Buena Vista - around the back side of Vail through Camp Hale and Red Cliff - up to Dino NM and Flaming Gorge - now through Alpine to make the dive into the Mountains easy - through Jackson to Tetons and then on to YNP.

At 300 miles per day you will need everybit of 9 days to get there. Make a couple layovers and you need two weeks - enjoy a few of the places you pass through and you now might need every day of three weeks.

Think you get the picture. All the roads are fine - you should easily be able to enjoy the Drive. If I can be of more help just shout for help.

Best of Luck
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, yellowstone