Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Route from Kanab to Torrey Utah

Looking for route suggestions from Kanab to Torrey Utah? I could take 89 to 12 to Torrey but I also see a route in grey on the map that looks shorter but no route number. I will be doing it in 36 ft Coach and a toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

12 should be a national monument. it is spectacular . take it you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

The 89 to 12 is real your only option. No problems in a MH very pretty area
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
RVM141

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just drove 12 last month to Torrey. There are a couple of good grades, but nothing my gasser couldn't handle. As stated, this road should be a national monument. Beautiful is not strong enough to describe it. Take 12, you'll be happy you did.

Jake
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X3 on 89 to 12
Just did a couple of weeks ago...spectacular!!!! A couple of breath taking drops between Escalante & Boulder but nothing you can't handle. If you have the time, make some extra stops & go exploring. Kodachrome Basin, Devil's Garden are worth the drive. Capitol Reef is at least a day. We stayed in Jacob's Lake, Glendale, Bryce City, Escalante, Torrey, Salina, Provo, North Ogden, now in Brigham City, and leave tomorrow for Idaho Falls.
If you are heading North Brigham City has been an unexpected great stop. Bear River Bird Refuge, Golden Spike National Historic Site, and ADK missile display. Hill Air museum in Ogden was also worth the stop.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

From Kanab, UT, Hwy 12 is the only route. . . and you surely don't want to pass it up. It's an awesome drive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #7

route

Great... I was on it like 20 yrs ago so dont remember that well. Have 3 nites in Torry so will do some exploring in the jeep. Plan on taking 24 to 62 to 89 to 9 to Springdale on the way back how is that route ? I have 3 nites in Springdale.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
X3 on 89 to 12

Just did a couple of weeks ago...spectacular!!!! A couple of breath taking drops between Escalante & Boulder but nothing you can't handle. If you have the time, make some extra stops & go exploring. Kodachrome Basin, Devil's Garden are worth the drive. Capitol Reef is at least a day. We stayed in Jacob's Lake, Glendale, Bryce City, Escalante, Torrey, Salina, Provo, North Ogden, now in Brigham City, and leave tomorrow for Idaho Falls.

If you are heading North Brigham City has been an unexpected great stop. Bear River Bird Refuge, Golden Spike National Historic Site, and ADK missile display. Hill Air museum in Ogden was also worth the stop.

Stop in lava hot springs, float the river or soak in the hot springs
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Great... I was on it like 20 yrs ago so dont remember that well. Have 3 nites in Torry so will do some exploring in the jeep. Plan on taking 24 to 62 to 89 to 9 to Springdale on the way back how is that route ? I have 3 nites in Springdale.
Chuckwagon Store in Torrey has an awesome bakery & deli.

Check out the uranium mines on the Big Wash. We carry a Geiger counter (DH is nuclear physicist) so that was fun for us.

There should be fruit ripe in the orchards at Fruita.

If you do longer trips in your Jeep, you might want to check out Hole-in-the-Rock Rd. We came in from Escalante but didn't go all the way. Hiked a small slot canyon.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
From Torrey you can just take Hwy 12 to 89....or your above route would work, also.

To get to Springdale from 89 you have options. Take Hwy 20 west just north of Panguitch, UT to I-15. Head south on I-15 to Hwy 9 east into Springdale.

Or...take 89 south to 9 west. On this route you'll have the Zion tunnels and a steep switchback into Zion.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/frequently-...and-tunnel.htm

Or.. take 89 south to Fredonia, AZ and west on 389 which becomes UT59 which will take you to Hwy 9 at Hurricane. Take Hwy 9 east to Springdale. This is a very nice drive.

Don't take Hwy 14 from 89 west to I-15. You probably won't like the steepness.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #11

routes

How are the switchbacks and zion tunnels to deal with going west?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
How are the switchbacks and zion tunnels to deal with going west?
Heading west to Springdale from Hwy 89 you'd be going downhill on the steep switchbacks and you'd have the tunnels to get through.

RVers do it. It just depends how you feel about driving those kinds of roads and how you feel about your RV handling it.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #13

route

I see max length in tunnels is 50 ft im probably over that and they say max height is 13 ft im about 12 ft 6 in
Old 07-15-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

Many RVers disconnect their toad vehicle and two of you drive separately. If you do so, do it before getting to the tunnels so you don't hold up traffic. Pick a pull-off along the way. There are some. You'll have to disconnect anyway at the bottom when you get to your RV site in Springdale.

If you're 12'6" you're o.k. If in doubt, pay the $15 one-way traffic fee and they'll hold up traffic at both ends to let you drive through down the middle where it's a lot higher. This happens a lot so you won't be alone. If there are a few RVs in a row they'll let all of them drive through at the same time. Of course, this holds up other traffic at both ends.

Like I said previously, there are other options to get to Springdale.