Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Route from Orlando to Maine

Looking for the best route to take from Orlando to Maine in my Class A 25' motor coach. Leaving on October 9th and want to avoid Hurricane Matthew and any possible damage left in its wake. Will be grateful for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd go up I95.

I went from Maine to Florida several years ago on I95 the whole way.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #3

if you go I95, make sure you have an ezpass. It will make life easier at the tolls. you can get them at service plaza if I recall.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:38 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the input. I-95 definitely seems the most direct route but I am concerned about driving conditions and places to stay in the wake of Hurricane Matthew and all the flooding I have read about. Also thanks for the EZpass tip!
Old 10-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Your best route is not I95 all the way to Maine, it might be the worst. If you search this site you will see the majority of travelers will do the following. I95 to Rt. 26 in SC to I77 thru Charlotte to I81 to I84 at Wilks Bare PA. All the way to I90 Ma Pike to I495 then back on I95 at the NH border. I use this route from Cape Cod to Florida all the time. Its less stressful, scenic, minimum tolls (Mass Pike). There are several versions of this trip so look it up.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersr58 View Post
Your best route is not I95 all the way to Maine, it might be the worst. If you search this site you will see the majority of travelers will do the following. I95 to Rt. 26 in SC to I77 thru Charlotte to I81 to I84 at Wilks Bare PA. All the way to I90 Ma Pike to I495 then back on I95 at the NH border. I use this route from Cape Cod to Florida all the time. Its less stressful, scenic, minimum tolls (Mass Pike). There are several versions of this trip so look it up.
The above, is my choice for all of the trips I make from the FL. Keys to Syracuse, NY.

The I 95 route is nothing but traffic, in all of the major cities.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

I would check on road conditions before I started this trip. I am hearing that I-95 through SC is still closed as is I-26. I-16 may also have problems. You may also have problems finding gas and a place to stay as most campgrounds are full with people fleeing the flooded areas. In normal times I would take I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81 to I-87 and avoid all the metropolitan areas of the north east. I hope you have reservations because most campgrounds in Maine close after October 15. Good luck.

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote