RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 74
Route from Ouray Colorado to Colorado Springs ??

In a couple of days I will be heading towards Colorado Springs from Ouray Colorado!! It looks like I have two route options:
1. 550 north to 50 East to 285 n to US 24
2. 550 north to 50 east to 115 n

So after driving the 550 from Durango to Ouray I would like the easiest route for my truck and me!!

Would love any input

Thanks
__________________

whit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 56
Route #1 I believe you have Wolf Creek Pass and #2 you have Monarch Pass, six to one half a dozen of another. I'm sure others will chime in that knows for sure. I've pulled doubles over Monarch many times (F250 7.3, 34' 5er and rhino on small trailer), just watch your speed down hill.
__________________

__________________
2001 XL3550 BSL (Blue Ox)
Co-pilot Sandi and backup is Sadie
Visalia, Ca
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit66 View Post
In a couple of days I will be heading towards Colorado Springs from Ouray Colorado!! It looks like I have two route options:
1. 550 north to 50 East to 285 n to US 24
2. 550 north to 50 east to 115 n

So after driving the 550 from Durango to Ouray I would like the easiest route for my truck and me!!

Would love any input

Thanks
We just left Ouray on US50 and if it were me I’d take 50 to I-25 then North to Colorado Springs.
If you take US50 it goes over Monarch pass, regardless of where you go after that.
__________________
J.H. 2020 45W Cornerstone
2019 Ram Longhorn
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 9,852
You're not going near Wolf Creek Pass. That's down by Pagosa Springs.

Either route is good and both will take you over Monarch Pass. The eastbound descent of Monarch begins with 6% for 10 miles with some curves and alternates between 2 and 3 lanes. After the runaway truck ramp you'll have another 6 miles of 6%.

Downhills - get in low gear before even starting down; not in the midst of the downhill. You shouldn't have to use your brakes much if you're in the correct gear.

50 straight across to I-25 is the easiest but 24 is not hard.

24 will take you over Trout Creek Pass EL 9346', 5-6% grade and not long. You'll also have Ute/Wilkerson Pass at 9165' with 6 miles of rolling hills and a gradual grade downhill to Manitou Springs.

Have a good trip!
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 74
Thank you, which route do you recommend as the easiest on the tow vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You're not going near Wolf Creek Pass. That's down by Pagosa Springs.

Either route is good and both will take you over Monarch Pass. The eastbound descent of Monarch begins with 6% for 10 miles with some curves and alternates between 2 and 3 lanes. After the runaway truck ramp you'll have another 6 miles of 6%.

Downhills - get in low gear before even starting down; not in the midst of the downhill. You shouldn't have to use your brakes much if you're in the correct gear.

50 straight across to I-25 is the easiest but 24 is not hard.

24 will take you over Trout Creek Pass EL 9346', 5-6% grade and not long. You'll also have Ute/Wilkerson Pass at 9165' with 6 miles of rolling hills and a gradual grade downhill to Manitou Springs.

Have a good trip!
whit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 127
I did both routes you mentioned a couple weeks ago in a class A DP with two motorcycles onboard and a flat towed car. We don't have an exhaust brake. Either way is similar. After Durango to Ouray, it'll seem fast and following lol. Just take your time.
LPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
yeloduster's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit66 View Post
In a couple of days I will be heading towards Colorado Springs from Ouray Colorado!! It looks like I have two route options:
1. 550 north to 50 East to 285 n to US 24
2. 550 north to 50 east to 115 n

So after driving the 550 from Durango to Ouray I would like the easiest route for my truck and me!!

Would love any input

Thanks
Hi,

I live in Colorado Springs and have family near Montrose. I have made this trip too many times to count. I've driven it every imaginable way!

The eventually I settled on your route 1. It seems the most comfortable drive.

Only reasonable route to the intersection with 285 at Poncha Springs takes you over Monarch Pass. Be aware that the are three summits between Montrose and Poncha Springs. You must also top Cerro Summit and Blue Mesa Summit as well as Monarch Pass. All passes have steep grades both up and down. But, take your time, especially on the down grades. Use lower gears.

A tip...time your arrival at Colorado Springs before 4 PM. Any later and you start hitting traffic while you are still 30 miles out.

Enjoy the scenery. It is a great drive.
__________________
2003 34' Georgetown on W22 Workhorse Chassis.
1998 Jeep Cherokee for a toad
UltraRV power mods to engine and transmission
yeloduster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
Member
 
rhodesaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: central Arizona
Posts: 77
I did US 50 to US 24 into Colorado Springs earlier this August. Did Eastbound Monarch pass in 26 foot Class A towing a Jeep. Total weight 20k (give or take) Topped pass at 35 MPH and no problems. Same with Wolf Pass (Westbound). US 50 is a great road, with lots of stuff to stop and see.
__________________
2013 Sunstar Sport towing 2010 Jeep Wrangler
rhodesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Hi,

I live in Colorado Springs and have family near Montrose. I have made this trip too many times to count. I've driven it every imaginable way!

The eventually I settled on your route 1. It seems the most comfortable drive.

Only reasonable route to the intersection with 285 at Poncha Springs takes you over Monarch Pass. Be aware that the are three summits between Montrose and Poncha Springs. You must also top Cerro Summit and Blue Mesa Summit as well as Monarch Pass. All passes have steep grades both up and down. But, take your time, especially on the down grades. Use lower gears.

A tip...time your arrival at Colorado Springs before 4 PM. Any later and you start hitting traffic while you are still 30 miles out.

Enjoy the scenery. It is a great drive.

--------------

Lot's to see and do - along with a Beautiful but easy drive. -
__________________

__________________
Busskipper
Location - Arnold, Maryland-Sold - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 toad
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
colorado, route



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Durango Colorado to Ouray Colorado on route 550 whit66 Navigation, Routes & Roads 9 09-23-2019 10:36 PM
Durango, Ouray, or Pagosa Springs? Brianpr Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 30 06-06-2018 07:54 PM
US Hwy 50 from Co. Springs to Ouray, CO DebbieMH Navigation, Routes & Roads 11 04-08-2018 09:03 PM
Ouray KOA OR Ouray RV Park & Cabins DebbieMH Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 7 02-10-2018 05:24 PM
Ouray Colorado KOA campsite opinions? Letsgoagain Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 17 09-07-2007 05:34 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×