Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Route Help Please

We are newbies here. Bought our 2014 FR3 30DS for our relocation from Lancaster, CA to Spokane, WA. Traveled out of state via auto several times to Florida, etc, but not in RV. Can anyone provide us with a SAFE, easy route from CA to Spokane? We sold our home here in CA and MUST hit the road on March 9, 2014. I've looked at several routes, but being new at all this, we need some experienced input as to highways, avoid mountain passes, low bridges, etc. Thank you all!
McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
laj

take I-5 to portland oregon, then take 84 east, jump on 82 north hermiston, then to tri-cities, get onto 395 through tri- cities all the way to Spokane. nothing low to worry about the entire route. a little pull, gradual, once crossed Colombia river, then it's granule uphill from tri-cities to Spokane with a couple minor grades. piece of cake, nothing to worry about
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
take I-5 to portland oregon, then take 84 east, jump on 82 north hermiston, then to tri-cities, get onto 395 through tri- cities all the way to Spokane. nothing low to worry about the entire route. a little pull, gradual, once crossed Colombia river, then it's granule uphill from tri-cities to Spokane with a couple minor grades. piece of cake, nothing to worry about

X2... we've taken this route a couple of times with our previous 36' motor home and toad.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
laj

just wanted to change one thing. take 205 off I-5 to 84. will save going downtown, but either way is great.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Have made the trip many times over the years and as stated above I-5 but some
times I use 97 from California thru Oregon.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #6

Used to live in Lancaster and grew up in WA state. Made the route quite a few times. I second the use of 97 to get to Spokane, both have some grades but 97 is a road less traveled.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I lived in Coeur d'Alene, ID, (about 35 miles east of Spokane) and would travel to CA at least twice a year to visit grand children.

I will third the Hwy 97 route, weather and road conditions dependent. It is one of my favorite roads, but things can change fast in that part of the country.

A good over night stay is Crown Villa in Bend, OR. https://crownvillarvresort.com/
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #8

Different Route?

Failed to mention we are heading to Las Vegas after we depart Lancaster, CA and want to head into Utah, Idaho then Spokane. Is the I15 N to the 84 into Boise and then on up to the latter portion of the 395 ok for newbies in the 30ft Class A? We just don't want to get stuck on Mountain roads, tight twist, turns or steep grades LOL!! ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL to new to this! Thanks to everyone. Will be looking for alternate route other than I 5. Please advise.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Where are you going in Utah? that might get interesting.
15 to 84 to 395 is a very good road only a few hills but nothing to worry about.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #10

Take 1-15 all the way to Butte, MT, then westward on I-90. DW was born in Quartz Hill. Family farmed in Rosemond. Lancaster was a great area years ago. One thing you will encounter in March while heading north is that many of the RV parks are closed until the end of April. We end up at truck stops during those months. We found after leaving Vegas that Nephi Utah has a Pilot Flying J at exit 222. Pretty popular stop over. They have a "low clearance app" but as mentioned if you stay on an interstate you won't have any problems. If you are leaving in March you may want to invest in a set of cable chains. Or just stop if the weather gets bad. Go over the passes during mid day.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #11

Lancaster, Vegas, St. George Utah, Provo Utah, Idaho, Spokane...what an experience! Relocating! Whew! Thank you for the directions!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #12

We will check RV parks/Resorts well ahead of schedule..as far as chains..yikes! We will sit it out if we have to..to new to attempt chains!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna View Post
We will check RV parks/Resorts well ahead of schedule..as far as chains..yikes! We will sit it out if we have to..to new to attempt chains!
I drive over the continental divide in Wyoming at South Pass, west on I-80 to I-15 and south a lot in the winter. Even on I-90 across Montana in the winter. You will be lucky to find any RV park open. Not like the year around parks in SoCA. I just got back from a 4 month trip and this has been the worst winter I have seen in Wyoming. Snow is one thing but you really have to watch out for the cross winds which can be very dangerous. 65 mph cross winds are no fun. We hunkered down at truck stops between big rigs to block the wind. the purpose of hunkering down at truck stops is if you are hunkered down for 4 or 5 days you will have food, fuel, propane and possibly even a dump station. We also were lucky and had wifi. I have a set of bus cable chains for the outside rear dual. Never used them but carry them just in case. Also carry a good shovel when traveling in the winter. I winterize below 10 degrees, flush commode with rv antifreeze and carry bottled water for cooking and coffee. I winterize because if I have a break down a lot of damage can be done before you can get heat back into the RV. JMHO.

BTW: Spent over 4 hours yesterday plowing out my drive and down the road so we could get out to the main highway. This morning looks like I'll be out on the tractor again.

73s AC6CV
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #14

Low Bridges, Steep Grades, Inclines

is there much worry about the above on the I-5 North of Los Angeles into Portland? Or from Portland to Spokane? We may change routes to make it more direct. Is there a good website to locate low bridge warnings or any other RV warnings that may relate to us driving a Class A? Sorry for all the questions...